Salt test

Mar 18, 2016
Blackwood/NJ
I opened the pool this past weekend. Tested the water and it read I had 2800 ppm salt by my K1766 test kit. I dump 40lbs in. I test the next day, I get 2600 ppm. Confused, I dump another 40lbs. I test today I get 2400ppm????? I now have a new test kit on order as this one is 3 years old and am concerned its not reading accurately. My SWG is acting up and I don't believe it is producing Chlorine (another issue I am working on), could it be eating the salt?

Nothing in your pool can eat salt. At least, not without it returning to salt later. The k-1766 is one of the tests where the reagents can go bad after 1-2 years and should be replaced regularly. Test with your new one when it comes in and go from there.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where this could happen. I suppose that if your SWCG had a leak immediately above it, you could bubble off the chlorine before it finds a sodium to reconnect with. It is very difficult to imagine that you can unintentionally bubble off 40 lbs everyday, though.

My money's on the test chemicals being bad.

Blackwood, NJ. Old stomping grounds "way" back in day.

The reagents can go "bad". I am voting for bad reagent.

Also, when you added the salt, did you stir it up and mix it some with the brush? Also, it can take a day or so to dissolve fully.

Blackwood, NJ. Old stomping grounds "way" back in day.

The reagents can go "bad". I am voting for bad reagent.

Also, when you added the salt, did you stir it up and mix it some with the brush? Also, it can take a day or so to dissolve fully.
yes, I typically dump it in front of the jet. then whatever settles at the bottom, i brush around the main drains to distribute out. But no way should I be losing 200ppm every time I add 40 lb salt.

That's correct. Probably bad reagent.

Just a "head slap" test, are you doing the test the same way each time? Same amount of water (5ml vs. 10ml, minuscus at the 10ml mark)? Holding the bottle vertical and letting the drop form completely? There is also a 200 ppm margin of error.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.