Salt Staining

Jan 9, 2016
Missouri City, TX
Pool Size
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I added a couple of bags of salt earlier and then noticed these yellow stains on the bottom of the pool in a few places several hours later. If the salt didn't dissolve in these spots, will this happen? And can I get rid of them? If not, any clue as to what they are? Almost 100% positive they weren't there yesterday or when I poured the salt in as they are pretty noticeable.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 65
Likely contaminated with yellow prussiate of soda (sodium ferrocyanide) as an anti-caking agent.

It's iron staining so Vit-C applied in direct contact (use a sock tied to the end of your pool pole) should lift it.

Lots of reports of staining from Clorox branded "pool" salt and other manufacturers as well.

Glad to hear it worked. Definitely sounds like YPS contamination. Unfortunately it's quite random as some folks have used Clorox brand salt with no issues.

In the future, use solar salt from Lowes or HomeDepot. Water softener salt has to be free of iron impurities or else it will screw up a water softener ion-exchange resin. It also dissolves a little slower than "pool" salt. But it avoids iron issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.