Salt reading higher than pool store

valiquettl

Jun 18, 2023
Ottawa, ON Canada
The first week I got my water tested at the pool store, they said the salt reading was 3518. After adding all of my chemicals and getting water tested the following week, they said my salt reading was at 2800.

I've tested my salt level and my Aquarite displays 3400 and test strip 3400 as well. How can it be off by 600 in just one week. I went to another pool store the following week and they said my salt level is at 2624 and to add 1/2 bag of salt.

I've even recalibrated my Aquarite and still displays 3400. I'll be honest, I certainly don't think I can trust pool stores for my salt reading. Any feedback from someone else experience the same issue would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Luc

Welcome to the forum!

If you read through the many posts on the forum, you will quickly learn that most folks here do not trust anything from a pool store, let alone testing. For salt testing, they will sometimes use an electric meter but the accuracy of those meters is highly dependent on calibration which needs to be done frequently and I am sure they do not.

However, test strips are not all that accurate either. We highly recommend the Taylor Salt Test Kit:

The best thing to do is to go by the SWG unit. If it is generating chlorine, there is nothing for you to do. Don't worry too much about the "actual" salt level. Actual salt level is important but only to assess if a cell is failing or not. When the test salt level is significantly higher than the SWG display with a clean cell and the SWG unit is complaining about low salt, then you need to think about replacing the cell.

Also, please read through these stickies.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.