jtrhodes81

May 13, 2022
Philly PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In a non-SWG pool using liquid chlorine. Could I run the salt ppm way up so I could use 70-80 CYA like an SWG pool but use the FC level recomendation of an SWG pool? This should allow me to use less chlorine. If this would work how high could I safely go on the salt, 5,000 ppm, more?

TL:DR It is not the salt level that drives the 60-80 recommendation, it is SWCG cell life.

The SWCG recommendation of 60-80 is not because there is salt in the water. Even though a higher CYA level requires a higher FC level, the amount of chlorine you need to add each day to maintain that higher FC level is actually lower than what you would need at a lower CYA and FC level. This happens because CYA protects FC from sunlight, reducing the amount lost to sunlight enough to more than make up for the higher FC levels required.

Since less total chlorine is required at higher CYA levels, the SWG cell doesn't need to run as long each day. Since the cell in a SWG has a lifetime based primarily on how long it is on, a lower daily run time results in longer cell life. That is why the higher targets.

What makes running at higher levels generally acceptable with the SWCG is that the salt cell, generally, makes chlorine all through the day. Less likely to drop to minimums.

The reason not to run a liquid chlorine pool at these levels, is that generally, liquid chlorine is not automated, and members dose once a day, producing spiky FC levels (High when added, and right before being added). This introduces a lot of error in minimums, and a higher potential for algae and the need to slam. Slam at 70-80 is hard.

There is nothing that is stopping you from running 2000-5000 salt in your pool at about 3000 you will start to taste it, at 4000+ maybe distasteful. I would test the salt level in your pool before adding more, you may be surprised how much salt you already have.

You do not need salt to run a higher CYA. I might suggest you try 60 CYA first and see how much impact that has...

John,

You may be different, but I can start tastings the salt in the water when it gets above 3500 ppm. :(

As other have said... it is the operation of a SWCG that allows you to have lower FC numbers, not the salt in the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.