Salt in AGP to help dry skin - will my AGP corrode?

Sep 30, 2020
West Jordan, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are just starting to use our brand new above ground pool and we’ve noticed that our skin is extremely dry. I’ve read multiple posts that adding a little salt up to 1000 ppm can help with the dry skin but my pool is not rated for salt water. The problem is so bad that I’m thinking about putting salt in anyway. Do any of you have experience with salt in an above ground pool and have you seen corrosion happen at 1000-1500 ppm? My heater also has a copper heat exchanger so I’m a little worried about corrosion on that too.

The attached photo shows my water chemistry:

Attachments

• 689AF188-79CB-4F74-B0A6-80AC2E72774E.png
    689AF188-79CB-4F74-B0A6-80AC2E72774E.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
Salt pools run at 3-4000ppm with no ill effects. Many non-salt pools also run in the 1000ppm range without even trying due to chemical additions adding a bit of salt each time. Test your water - you might be closer than you think already.

All pools accumulate salt over time. Chlorine contains salt and it is left behind when the chlorine is depleted. That small amount of salt should not harm your pool. There are other things you can look at to improve the feel of your water. Do you have any test results that show your calcium level and your pH? Very hard water can also leave the skin feeling dry after swimming. Lowering pH to around 7.0-7.2 can help improve the feel of hard water. Borates are another option to improve water feel. The only caution with using borates is you don't want animals or small children drinking a lot of borate treated water.

Salt pools run at 3-4000ppm with no ill effects. Many non-salt pools also run in the 1000ppm range without even trying due to chemical additions adding a bit of salt each time. Test your water - you might be closer than you think already.
Thanks! I measured the salt and it’s 200-400 ppm. Seems like I could add a little more without trouble. I’m curious if there are any other AGP owners out there that have used salt and what their experience is.

There are a lot of us, and we‘re running at higher salt levels because we have SWCGs.

Can you post some test results here?

Your FC is low. I’d bump it up to 5 or 6.

You can try bumping salt up a bit, but i don’t know if I would blame the water for the dry skin, especially if it isn’t widespread dryness. Are you applying sunscreen beforehand?

We haven’t been using sunscreen but will for sure when the weather warms. Everyone experiences dry skin when they swim in our pool. I can feel the skin on my hands dry out just from testing the water each day. I’ve had FC higher but lowered it to see if that could help reduce the dry skin issue. Do you know if FC levels can have an effect on skin? Or anything else that could be causing it?

Do you know if FC levels can have an effect on skin? Or anything else that could be causing it
Unbuffered chlorine is harsh. How confident are you in your CYA test ? Like in a public pool with 1-2ppm FC and 0 CYA. Did the results come from the TF-100 ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is odd. I never experienced what you are talking about even before adding salt and using a SWCG.

How do you test your PH? Drop test or meter? If drops, how do you view the color comparison? Do you test PH the moment you pull your water sample?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.