Salinity issue after flooding. Help with plan.

Normally I'm right there with ya, but we're not talking about diverting roof/gutter water here.

French drains aren't gonna cut it.
When you say salinity is off the charts did Leslie give you a nu
When you say salinity is off the charts did Leslie give you a number?
My husband took the sample to the store and his exact words were "it pegged the meter". When pressed for a more quantifiable number he shrugged and said the Leslie's worker showed him the meter and it was off the scale but that he didn't pay attention to the number. I swear he's a super competent husband but it 'aint this arena 😂

Ha, obviously if it was direct ocean water there is not much you can do without Poseidon like powers. I was just thinking it was some sort of lowland/brackish water flooding that could possibly be mitigated with re-grading, drains, etc.
Not direct ocean but direct tidal marsh. It happened to A LOT of people during this event. I don't think there is a lot of mitigation that could help. It was a rare confluence of onshore winds, higher than normal high tides, storms etc. The only other time water made it this high was a hurricane and that's all part of the "charm" of this area:)

Reactions: JJ_Tex
That's a great point !!! If there's no pool water left, 35,000 ppm is going to take 175 drops with the Taylor kit. Ooof.
And pool salinity meters are calibrated for readings around 3000 to 4000 ppm.

If this is true seawater then pool level testing will not be accurate. The answer will be VERY HIGH.

The lack of CH is interesting.

I would just proceed with a long water exchange. Or maybe a half pool drain followed by a water exchange.

Lets see what @mknauss suggests as our Water Exchange expert.

My husband took the sample to the store and his exact words were "it pegged the meter". When pressed for a more quantifiable number he shrugged and said the Leslie's worker showed him the meter and it was off the scale but that he didn't pay attention to the number. I swear he's a super competent husband but it 'aint this arena 😂
Pegged the meter, that is what I suspected.

Just proceed with getting fresh water into the pool.

You need to exchange about 90% of the water if we assume it is seawater salt level.

Not direct ocean but direct tidal marsh. It happened to A LOT of people during this event. I don't think there is a lot of mitigation that could help. It was a rare confluence of onshore winds, higher than normal high tides, storms etc. The only other time water made it this high was a hurricane and that's all part of the "charm" of this area:)
What type of fish and other creatures are found in the tidal marsh?

Freshwater or seawater creatures?

Pegged the meter, that is what I suspected.

Just proceed with getting fresh water into the pool.

You need to exchange about 90% of the water if we assume it is seawater salt level.
So should I get the FC up first or are you saying get the fresh water in first?

I read the article about doing the water exchange and admit it made me very intimidated. We have a pool filler built in below the water fall and the pool drains from the drain in the bottom according to my husband (he is very good at understanding mechanics and plumbing but maybe he is wrong here) so I was thrown off by the instructions in the article to drain from one end and add in the other. The plan was to turn on the filler and drain from the waste valve in the pump all while I sat by the pool (knowing it will be for hours) to make sure it didn't drain too fast to avoid the pool popping out of the ground. He is away for a few days and I am a little scared of him not being here to help/notice if things go left.... but maybe I am overthinking it.

First of all get at least 5ppm of chlorine and 30 CYA into the water now to keep it from becoming a swamp.

You need to use a submersible pump for the water exchange. With the submersible pump being placed at the deepest point of the pool.

You want the pool pump off and the water in the pool still and not circulating.

The science behind the water exchange is that the salt water is heavier than fresh water. The salt water will settle to the bottom of the pool and the fresh water added by a hose at the shallow end will stratify and sit on top of the seawater. You want the water still and not mixing.

Once the submersible pump is running use a large trash can that the gallons are marked on it to see how long it takes to fill. That gives you an approximate GPM being drained and lets you calculate how long it will take to do one exchange of the entire pool volume.

Do not stop the water exchange process to check on things in the middle. Once you stop the submersible pump and mix the pool water you will be starting over.

Last edited:
First of all get at least 5ppm of chlorine and 30 CYA into the water now to keep it from becoming a swamp.

You need to use a submersible pump for the water exchange. With the submersible pump being placed at the deepest point of the pool.

You want the pump off and the water in the pool still and not circulating.

The science behind the water exchange is that the salt water is heavier than fresh water. The salt water will settle to the bottom of the pool and the fresh water added by a hose at the shallow end will stratify and sit on top of the seawater. You want the water still and not mixing.

Once the submersible pump is running use a large trash can that the gallons are marked on it to see how long it takes to fill. That gives you an approximate GPM being drained and lets you calculate how long it will take to do one exchange of the entire pool volume.
Thank you. I will follow this advice!

If you have all sea water in the pool, a no drain exchange will work quite well. Just follow what Allen stated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add the chlorine and CYA and get your equipment for the water exchange together for when you hubby returns to help.

You are an incredible human! I woke up today so stressed about this and you and everyone here have been so kind with your time and knowledge. If only the whole internet was this great ☺️

Reactions: Lilypad and Newdude
Continue asking and checking in here as you get your stuff and get things setup and running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.