Sailinshuz - Advice Needed ...

zea3 said:
Sailinshuz said:
Bama Rambler said:
Post the results when you get the kit.
As quickly as I am able, I will post a full set of test results.

I am still curious from reading in Pool School, that higher CYA levels require higher chlorination and shock levels, and "Eventually the CYA level will build up to a point that renders your chlorine ineffective." I don't understand. Does the protection from sunlight that CYA provides to chlorine trap the FC in some way, when the CYA level is very high?

Thanks for your support.
From my understanding, CYA shields chlorine from the sun's uv rays like a layer of clothing protects you from the cold. If you keep adding layers of clothing eventually you will not feel the cold. You will also be so bundled up you won't be able to move around as efficiently as you could in a t-shirt and shorts.

Lets look at a couple of examples: You have a pool. Conventional wisdom has taught you that adding a bag of dichlor shock and 1 tab in the floater every week will keep things nice and clear. For a while it does. What you don't know is the CYA in the shock and the tabs is building up and will only go away if you remove it by draining and replacing some water. The pool is looking cloudy, conventional wisdom says add more chlorine, so now its 2 bags of shock and 2 tabs in the floater every week. Pool looks better for a little while, then suddenly its worse than before. What you don't know is in addition to doubling the chlorine you have also doubled the CYA that you are adding, and the pool is looking worse than ever very quickly! Someone advises you to switch to a cal-hypo shock, that helps for a little while but the CYA is still sky high and now your calcium is rapidly rising. The only way to "fix" the pool is to drain a percentage of the water and refill.

Lets say you are a long distance runner and it is 30 degrees outside. You won't last long in just your shorts and a t-shirt. You need protection from the cold, so you bundle up. Having too much CYA has the same effect as wearing underwear, long johns, sweats, jeans and flannel shirt, sweater, ski suit, and overcoat. Are you well protected from the cold? Yes. Are you going to be an effective long distance runner in this outfit? No! All those clothes will not go away by themselves so you have to remove the layers until you reach the point where you are adequately protected, but can still be effective as a runner. Thus, you have to remove the excess CYA, leaving behind enough to adequately protect the FC from the sun but still be effective as a sanitizer.

For more information on the scientific explanation of how CYA works, read through some of the posts in "the Deep End" section of the forum. :-D
ZEA3 ... Thanks for taking the time to help! So, higher CYA levels affect the speed at which the chlorine can react and kill germs and viruses. And, the lower the CYA, the quicker chlorine reacts. I guess that's all one really needs to know!

You need to continue the shock process until you meet these 3 criteria: 1. the water is clear 2. The CC is .5 or less 3. You pass the overnight free chlorine loss test.

Bring your pool to shock level and keep it there as much as possible until the process is complete. Test FC and add enough bleach to reach shock level every couple of hours. Keep the pump running 24/7 and backwash when the pressure in the filter rises 25% above the clean filter reading. The more consistent you are at maintaining shock level the quicker the process will go.

zea3 said:
You need to continue the shock process until you meet these 3 criteria: 1. the water is clear 2. The CC is .5 or less 3. You pass the overnight free chlorine loss test.

Bring your pool to shock level and keep it there as much as possible until the process is complete. Test FC and add enough bleach to reach shock level every couple of hours. Keep the pump running 24/7 and backwash when the pressure in the filter rises 25% above the clean filter reading. The more consistent you are at maintaining shock level the quicker the process will go.

I understand the instructions. My numbers look even better this morning:

Chlorine
FC = 19.5 (passed the OFCL and CC criteria)
CC = 0.5
TC = 20

pH = 7.5

T/A = 100

CYA should still be 60 since I didn't add anything with stabilizer.

I think I am going to use a cal-hypo shock for the availability and ease of just dumping it in the skimmer. Hauling 20 1-1/2 gallon bleach bottles around is insane! Shocking til clear!

Sailinshuz said:
I think I am going to use a cal-hypo shock for the availability and ease of just dumping it in the skimmer. Hauling 20 1-1/2 gallon bleach bottles around is insane! Shocking til clear!
Firstly, I wouldn't dump CalHypo in the skimmer. It's not good for the equipment and seals.

Secondly, do you know your CH (calcium hardness) number for your pool water? How bout your fill water?

yeggim said:
Sailinshuz said:
Firstly, I wouldn't dump CalHypo in the skimmer. It's not good for the equipment and seals.

Secondly, do you know your CH (calcium hardness) number for your pool water? How bout your fill water?
Thanks for the helpful direction. I just broadcasted it in the deep end and brushed the pool bottom.

CH in my pool is low, but I will check it in a couple of hours. Will check the fill water, too. Do I need to maintain CH in a vinyl liner pool? I was advised that it is only necessary for plaster pools. Please educate me on this factor, please.

I love my new TF-100. Going to get the Speedstir next. Thanks for the great help !!!

Pool life is getting better, as seen in the pics ...

[attachment=0:2wtass8l]photo.JPG[/attachment:2wtass8l]
[attachment=1:2wtass8l]photo (1).JPG[/attachment:2wtass8l]

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 76
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 76
A question for those more knowledgeable, with the FC level at 19+ and CYA at 60 is it really safe/recommended to have people in the water?
With my CYA level I'm shocking to 13 and I don't think I'd go in or am I all wet :mrgreen: ?.

reeltor said:
A question for those more knowledgeable, with the FC level at 19+ and CYA at 60 is it really safe/recommended to have people in the water?
With my CYA level I'm shocking to 13 and I don't think I'd go in or am I all wet :mrgreen: ?.
Just to put everyone at ease, ... I was born at night, but not last night! :shock:
The person in the water was only in for minute, maybe two, not for the afternoon. And, although were tough as nails in C'ville, GA, we weren't relaxing in the pool. We're trying hard to get there, though! Thanks for your concern ... we're fine. :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
reeltor said:
that's why we ask the questions :cool:
I really didn't know it was OK to go into the pool at shock levels. :goodjob:

:cheers:
:cheers: to you, too, good friend ! I am so close to swimming with the kids, it's not funny. The weather is beautiful ... water chemistry almost perfect, but water is cloudy! Hope you have a great Father's Day with your family ... swimming in your pool !

OK Fellow Pool Heads ... I love this site, and I hate the pool store!
SOS!!! I'm trying to get rid of cloudy water now. Algae is gone, I think. I have a little ONCL @ 3ppm. Other test results are well within the acceptable range ...

CYA = 6.0 | TC = 20.5 | FC = 20 | CC = 0.5 | pH = 7.5 | T/A = 100 | 76 degree water

The water is just cloudy! I assume since I had slight ONCL, there's still something in my pool to be killed?

Need expert advice on:

1 - I keep shocking and filtering, right?
2 - Should I flock again?
3 - Can I install my SWG components, now? Note: When it was last installed, it wasn't working, so I need to troubleshoot this, too! So, I need to light a fire under it all !
4 - What do you think is the source of cloudiness in my water? Dissolved Solids?

[attachment=0:2teupk7d]photo.JPG[/attachment:2teupk7d]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 62
Yep, keep shocking until you meet the three criteria to be done shocking. See red lines in my sig.

The cloudiness, imho, is because you have dead algae and you are still killing algae! The OCLT shows a loss of 3, so you have a ways to go.

You could try adding a little DE to the filter. Specific How-to Directions are in Pool School.

I'd skip the flock stuff.

You should wait until the shocking process is completed before you start trying to troubleshoot the SWG.

Butterfly said:
Yep, keep shocking until you meet the three criteria to be done shocking. See red lines in my sig.

The cloudiness, imho, is because you have deal algae and you are still killing algae! The OCLT shows a loss of 3, so you have a ways to go.

You could try adding a little DE to the filter. Specific How-to Directions are in Pool School.

You should wait until the shocking process is completed before you start trying to troubleshoot the SWG.

10-4 Butterfly ... :goodjob:

I feel your pain, I've been shocking now for 19 days, I'm making progress but still have a ways to go. Now if it's OK while at shock levels to sit in a pool chair with an adult beverage I'd be a happier camper. I can see the bottom of the shallow and about 3/4 the way down the incline to the deep end; but like you I'm using about 2ppm of chlorine over night.

It's hard to believe that there is still something alive in the water!

reeltor said:
I feel your pain, I've been shocking now for 19 days, I'm making progress but still have a ways to go. Now if it's OK while at shock levels to sit in a pool chair with an adult beverage I'd be a happier camper. I can see the bottom of the shallow and about 3/4 the way down the incline to the deep end; but like you I'm using about 2ppm of chlorine over night.

It's hard to believe that there is still something alive in the water!

It's Beer Thirty, here! Get us a chair !!! :party:

Butterfly said:

The cloudiness, imho, is because you have deal algae and you are still killing algae! The OCLT shows a loss of 3, so you have a ways to go.

OK Butterfly ... I thought about aid a filter aid before I posted, but not DE. Forgot about that option. Thanks for the :whip:

Bought some DE just now, and I'm about to add it. Pics will follow any drastic improvements. Love TFP Forum Folks !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.