Safety Relief/Suction Vent Line Draining Water When Pump Runs

scottaj34

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Suction relief vent pipe is draining water from pool when pump runs. Never had this issue before. I have (2) of these suction/safety relief vent lines and only 1 is draining.

What could be causing this???

Attachments

• Pool Pic 1.jpg
    Pool Pic 1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Pool Pic 2.jpg
    Pool Pic 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Pool Pic 3.jpg
    Pool Pic 3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10
New pool owner. Opened pool May 8th and have not had any issues to date. Last night observed water draining from Suction/Safety Relief Vent line when pool pump was running. Turned pump off and it stopped. Turned pump back on and it started again. The vent lines are pictured below (Candy Cane shaped). I did change the cartridge filter yesterday afternoon but don't understand how that could be related.

What could be root cause of this?

Attachments

• Pool Pic 1.jpg
    Pool Pic 1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Pool Pic 2.jpg
    Pool Pic 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pool Pic 3.jpg
    Pool Pic 3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
Suction relief vent pipe is draining water from pool when pump runs. Never had this issue before. I have (2) of these suction/safety relief vent lines and only 1 is draining.

What could be causing this???
It looks like you have a pool/spa combo. Or a pool with jets at a bench? Looking at the age of the valves, it is likely the latter.
Are you sure those are vents and not air lines for spa/bench jets?
Many times, if the spa or bench jet has adjustable "eyeball" return fittings, they will get turned and block the outlet forcing water up the and out of the air line.
If they were atmospheric suction-limiting vents, there would be no pressure in them when the pump is running, only suction.

New pool owner. Opened pool May 8th and have not had any issues to date. Last night observed water draining from Suction/Safety Relief Vent line when pool pump was running. Turned pump off and it stopped. Turned pump back on and it started again. The vent lines are pictured below (Candy Cane shaped). I did change the cartridge filter yesterday afternoon but don't understand how that could be related.

What could be root cause of this?
Once again.
It looks like you have a pool/spa combo. Or a pool with jets at a bench? Looking at the age of the valves, it is likely the latter.
Many times, if the spa or bench jet has adjustable "eyeball" return fittings, they will get turned and block the outlet forcing water up the and out of the air line.
If they were atmospheric suction-limiting vents, there would be no pressure in them when the pump is running, only suction.

No I am not sure at all. New pool owner. You are spot on with your initial assessment of my pool. It's a 20-year old Viking Fiberglass pool with bench seating in the corners.

Had a HS graduation party over the weekend where pool got a ton of use. Perhaps it's something as simple as what you mentioned. I will check when get home and update you then. Appreciate the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.