Sacramento new build

barold

Jul 15, 2023
Sacramento, CA
First time pool owner building a new pool! Found the forums while doing research and decided to post a build thread.

Dimensions: 18' x 40' (4' - 7' depth)
2 Skimmers, 4 returns
Plaster (white) surface

Equipment (Pentair):
Intellicenter i8PS with IC40 Salt Cell
Kreepy Krauly Legend - Pressure side Cleaner requiring Booster Pump.
Hydroboost Booster - Pump for Kreepy Krauly
Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter System - CCP420
Heater - Mastertemp Trade Grade, Natural gas 400K BTU's
Microbrite Color LED - 12V, 14 Watts
Pools / Spa Pump - IntelliFlo3 VSF 3.0HP
Inline Chlorine Feeder

From reading through Pool School and some other posts I'm pretty sure folks are going to tell me to bump up to the IC60. I'm torn on the inline chlorine feeder - with SWCG I don't want to use it... but the temperatures here (Sacramento area) drop down to 40F overnight which is well below the minimum safe temperature.

We've got a big hole in our backyard now, which included days of jackhammering through the solid rock in 100F weather. Plumbing and electrical next week :)

(Will attach pics when they are approved)

but the temperatures here (Sacramento area) drop down to 40F overnight which is well below the minimum safe temperature.
The pool temperature will stay warm enough for the SWG to work most of the year in Sacremneto. The pool temperature is a several day average of the highs and lows. A few cold nights won't budge it much because the daytime highs pull it the other way.

And besides, when the water temp is finally too cool for the SWG, you daily UV demand/loss is at its lowest point of the year, and you can go days or even weeks between adding liquid chlorine. In August, 4 ppm won't last a day.

Oooooooh. Please forgive my terrible manners. Welcome to TFP !!!! Congrats and keep them pics coming.

Reactions: barold
Hi and Welcome to TFP!!! Thanks for letting us help you build your pool!!!

Go for the upgrade on the SWG as it pays off in the long run in lower power use and longer cell life.

How much longer do they think they will be working on the dig? Make sure to take the plans out there with a tape measure to make sure it is long, deep, wide, etc enough. Add about 6" for the rebar, shell, and plaster. Make sure the depth talks about WATER depth. WATER depth is from the middle of the skimmer opening to the bottom of the pool. Some people do depth as from the coping to the bottom. When that is done you lose several inches of WATER depth.

The SWG works on water temperature, not air temperature so you don't have to worry about that in the summer. I live in Antelope, andI shut down my SWG around October, depending on water temp.
But with a new pool, I would advise you to follow the experts advice here. The stakes are too high to "wing it" as your plaster cures.
The winter rains will dilute your carefully curated chemicals into oblivion anyway.

Reactions: barold and kimkats
Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Newdude thanks, good info :)

@kimkats dig is basically done. done a bunch of measurements, and watched them do measurements off the plans too. I've made sure to be very explicit about water depth vs depth from coping (multiple times). I'm not sure how to properly measure depth because I'm not sure where the vertical center of the skimmers will end up . They've been measuring from the top of the wood and have been told they go ~9" deeper which would imply the waterline would be about 3" below the coping? Top of the wood I believe is flush with ground level pre-dig.

@Chuckiechan I don't see a lot of pool covers in this area, do you have one?

I have two, but I usually only have one on, & pull it off for the weekend.
It depends on who your water company is. Sacramento has several smaller districts that bare being bought out by private outfits.
I have CalAmerican water, and it is very high. But... I get a fat gas bill in the winter replaced by a fat water bill in the summer! So it "washes" out. ;)

Some updates!

Rebar completed (soooo much underground piping!):

Gunite got shot (2 crews to complete it in one day):

Decking got rebar:

Concrete decking got poured:

Got a nice oversized pool pad:

Things I learned: Last minute additional gas lines cost waaay more than if you plan them in advance.
Next up pool equipment for pad, plaster and filling up :)

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.