Rx clear 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft cartridge filter ok?

Jason.H.

Aug 19, 2020
North Carolina
I have to replace the original pump and filter on our 20 year old inground pool. 18x36 22k gallons, skimmer and main drain with two returns. Anyone have any input on RX clear brand from pool supplies.com?? I'm looking at the 1.5hp vs pump and a 425sqft cartridge filter. I was looking at the calimar pump and a similar filter from pool supply unlimited but the shipping is ridiculous (like $300) and the pump and filter themselves from pool supplies saves a few hundred dollars as well. Just making sure the 1.5hp is big enough, and the brand isn't junk. Both the pump and filter have good reviews. The old single speed pump that is original to the pool is 1.1hp and has worked fine, until it didn't lol. Thank you!

Jason,

The whole purpose of having a VS pump is to save on the electrical bill. The large the pump the slower it can run and still move a lot of water. The Slower it can run the quieter it will be. My 3 HP IntelliFlo pump runs at 1200 RPM, most of the time, and you almost have to touch it to make sure it is still running.

Personally, I would never buy a 1.5 HP pump... Not because it won't work, but because a large pump will just work better.

I am a big fan of large cartridge filters, so you are good there..

I have no experience with the brand you intend to buy..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude