Rusting pool ladder - stray voltage?

BlueWRXPride

Jun 18, 2020
Syracuse, NY
I have a vinyl pool that is 1.5 years old, and I have a SR Smith pool ladder. I noticed that after the first full season, there was notable rust forming at the end where the rubber bumpers are, and where the hardware is drilled through for the steps. I was able to get a replacement under warranty, and they actually replaced it with a marine grade stainless steel at my request. However, after 2 months I can already see the initial signs of rusting again. I talked to my pool installer, and he said he has seen a handful of pools with this issue but struggle to find a good solution. They've been using the same electrician for 20 years and he insists everything was grounded correctly. He suggests that rather than a grounding issue, there must be some stray voltage in the earth that is causing it. He suggested a CMP pool defender to potentially help, but couldn't guarantee it would fix it. I have a concrete apron and I know that the wire mesh was attached to the bond wire in many places. My house is only 8 years old so there shouldn't be any grounding issues there. Any suggestions?

Wouldn't to put a waterbond in place. This was not an issue with older metal light niches, but most are plastic now.
If you ever need help with your pump, it is a Waterway Power Defender with a V-Green 165 motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.