Rusted Uprights

liamtompkins49

May 2, 2022
Greensboro, NC
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and—in fact—this is my very first post :)

My post pertains to the vertical uprights that support the pool. I suppose I should start with what kind of above-ground pool I have. The front cover of the manual says I have a Coleman Power Steel Pool (#90389E). Inside the manual, it says my pool is 22ft in diameter x 52" in height. I have 22 of these supports and the part number is P61352.

I've been trying to find solutions to my problems via the almighty Google but alas, my efforts bore no fruit. Apparently rust is a very common problem INSIDE pools so all of my search results relate to that. My problem is that some of my uprights are rusty at the bottom.

Long story short, when I installed my upgraded pump and sand filter, I read about something in the manual called bonding. I didn't know what that was and it sounded like something I absolutely must do—so I did! I ran a super-thick, solid piece of copper wire around the circumference of my pool and attached it to every other upright if I'm not mistaken. It was a few years ago, so I don't recall every single detail unfortunately. Being a rookie with above ground pools, and having a lot of people pressure me into hurrying up and opening my pool, I probably did a hasty job at preparing the uprights. I think I just drove a self tapping screw and lug into the bottom of every other upright.

Well, those spots are getting rusty. One upright in particular, I was able to push my finger through the hole, ultimately enlarging it.

67275442229--852AA5A3-B428-413C-A8D0-06F7C1048866.jpg

My question is—is there anything I can do to remedy this problem or am I going to be forced to replace the damaged uprights? I was looking on eBay and other places and a single upright is averaging $30-$40 plus shipping. Needless to say, that is quite pricey in my opinion, so if I can salvage the existing uprights then I'd prefer to go that route. Is there anything I can do?

I've thought about sensible ideas and completely unorthodox ideas. These ideas include bracing the inside of the upright with two lengths of rebar, pumping the hole full of that liquid concrete crack filler stuff (I don't know the proper name for it). I've thought about filling the hole with JB Weld that hardens at 5,020 PSI, or using it to adhere some sort of aluminum or steel patch to it.

As you can see, I'm a jester trying to do a blacksmith's role. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Or perhaps someone has the same kind of uprights they would let go of for a reasonable price? Or know where I can find some for a reasonable price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

All the best,
Liam.

First question I would ask, is how old is the pool? If the uprights are rusting, then perhaps the bottom ring is as well. When we took our AGP down, the entire bottom ring was totally rusted. Ours was buried 4 inches, so it wasn't until we dug it out and found the rust. How does the wall look? If those two areas are holding up, then you could think about salvaging the uprights.

First question I would ask, is how old is the pool? If the uprights are rusting, then perhaps the bottom ring is as well. When we took our AGP down, the entire bottom ring was totally rusted. Ours was buried 4 inches, so it wasn't until we dug it out and found the rust. How does the wall look? If those two areas are holding up, then you could think about salvaging the uprights.

Hi SecoSteve,

Thanks for the response :)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "bottom ring?" Are you talking about the bottom perimeter of the liner itself? If so, do you mean the interior of the liner or the exterior?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the lingo regarding the components that make up an AGP.

My bad. I didn't realize the Coleman pools didn't have a bottom base. If there's nothing but an upright and then the liner, then I would consider that a temporary type pool like an Intex. What does the top of the pole look like? Maybe you could replace them with some type of fence post that might be cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.