Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi folks---

I'm looking for some answers.....

I have a Doheny's Dolphin cleaner and it is probably 10 years old - maybe a bit less.

This season, I noticed the inside of the bag had a large number of what appeared to be very tiny rust spots on it. A lot, like a kid having measles, number of spots. A few years ago, I used Clorox salt (never again) and had shortly thereafter noticed a few similarly sized (now that I think about it) rust spots on the pool. Just a handful, not very many. The number on the pool have grown since then but still not a whole lot, maybe 20 or so spread out over the entire pool (not concentrated in one area). On the cleaner bag, several of the spots had something attached that looks like it caused the rust to appear. Substantial enough to flick off, but not enough to really figure out what it was.

I bought a new bag and all was well for a few weeks. Emptying the bag last night, I noticed the same rust spots with something on a few of them.

So my question is three-fold:
  • Since they are on the inside of the bag, are they coming from the pool, and if so where from?
  • Could it be from the cleaner itself - what could possibly rust in a cleaner that is designed to be in the water?
  • How can I get rid of the rust spots in the fiberglass pool?

I run the pool using TFP methods testing with the TF-100 kit. I can get a fresh set of numbers tonight if that would prove helpful.

Thanks for the help.

And it’s definitely not seeds or pollen or bugs that are brown color?

Is there anything metal in your pool? Light fixtures, ladders, etc? Check condition of outside of lights and inside and outside of ladder etc?

Condition of cleaner itself or of any poles or brushes used?

🤔

And it’s definitely not seeds or pollen or bugs that are brown color?

Is there anything metal in your pool? Light fixtures, ladders, etc? Check condition of outside of lights and inside and outside of ladder etc?

Condition of cleaner itself or of any poles or brushes used?

🤔
Seeds etc: No, these are stains that will nor wash out even when I used straight bleach in a bucket with the old bag.
Metal: No ladders - lights are plastic - poles for brushed are aluminum and aside from fading from the sun, they appear intact.
Cleaner: Outside looks new though the plastic is scratched here and there. When I remove the bag and look inside, that looks fine as well.

Anyone spreading granule fertilizer in the vicinity?

We do have a lawn service for this that does a couple of applications per year. I thought the same thing, that it might be them, but the distance from water to the grass ranges from 4 feet to 15 feet. I'll note that anything is possible, but we have had the same guys for longer than we have had the pool.

Any thoughts to removing the spots from the surface?

We do have a lawn service for this that does a couple of applications per year. I thought the same thing, that it might be them, but the distance from water to the grass ranges from 4 feet to 15 feet. I'll note that anything is possible, but we have had the same guys for longer than we have had the pool.

Any thoughts to removing the spots from the surface?
Could Be different techs even if same service

And doesn’t have to be overspread either … if they are spreading on a windy day that stuff blows easily

the distance from water to the grass ranges from 4 feet to 15 feet. I'll note that anything is possible, but we have had the same guys for longer than we have had the pool.
My spreader (commercial), depending on the material will spread from 6 to 24 feet...(currently setup to spray).

1689605630909.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.