Rust on brand new pool walls

CAH80

Aug 8, 2023
Winter Garden, FL
Hello, our pool is one year old. We have an island planter in the center. It was discovered by us after the gunite was poured that measurements were off by a whole foot. Our project mgr didn't even notice it until we showed him the measurements. They tore down one side all the way down to the rebar and rebuilt it and poured the gunite again. Huge mess. Anyways, this history is probably helpful info. I just discovered a few weeks ago a spot on the island wall that has rust. This is the same area that was demoed. At first I was hoping that I was imagining it but it has grown larger and darker so there's no mistaking it. I took a look wearing googles to confirm it. I reached out to the pool company as we have a warranty. I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. What is the correct way to fix this?

Hello, our pool is one year old. We have an island planter in the center. It was discovered by us after the gunite was poured that measurements were off by a whole foot. Our project mgr didn't even notice it until we showed him the measurements. They tore down one side all the way down to the rebar and rebuilt it and poured the gunite again. Huge mess. Anyways, this history is probably helpful info. I just discovered a few weeks ago a spot on the island wall that has rust. This is the same area that was demoed. At first I was hoping that I was imagining it but it has grown larger and darker so there's no mistaking it. I took a look wearing googles to confirm it. I reached out to the pool company as we have a warranty. I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. What is the correct way to fix this?
Bad/rusted re-bar or tie wires will have to be exposed, cut out, re-plastered. There is no coating or other repair that will not fail. Remember what Neil Young said, "Rust never sleeps."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.