Rust issue

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
Well im sad to say, but after 4 1/2 years of our above the ground pool, we have serious rust issues on the pool walls. I had recently noticed a pin hole on the outerside of the pool wall, and a streak of rust where the water was dripping from, so I assumed I might have done it with the weedeater. After further research, I ran my hand on the entire pool liner, and felt a lot of rough spots on the entire pool. I could push on the spots and feel a crunchy feeling, so now I know I have a serious rust problem. Im also noticing some blistering on one side of the outside pool wall, and they too were mushy, and full of moisture. With this being said, im very disappointed that my four year old Doughboy pool is probably ruined due to rust. I find this unacceptable, but I know it's going to be money down the drain. I put this above the ground pool in, and extensive decking, just so I could pay for it with cash, and not have a 20yr pool note, but now im wondering if I should have sprung for a inground pool after all. I could just go out and buy a new pool, but am I going to be replacing a pool every 4-5 yrs???? Very un-happy at the moment, for we live to be in our pool all summer. Now I have to think about safety issues...

Yikes!! So sorry to hear that! :( Definitely time for a new pool and since Fall is almost here, they should be on sale or will be very soon! It should’ve lasted longer than 4.5 years, though. Do you use a SWG?

If I could afford it, I would get an inground pool (I’m saving up!). Especially if you see yourself living in your home for a long time. Sorry about your situation. Pools are so amazing yet so frustrating at times.

No, im not using salt-water, but just good ole city water..lol...Yea, not sure what route im going to take, but ive wanted a pool all my life, and when this happens, it makes you think.. I always hear people who has a pool wishes they never got one, but we are not one of those people. We live in our pool all summer !!!!!! The only thing we don't mind about the summer ending, is that then the hot tub weather starts up, so we continue to enjoy our backyard oasis..

Reactions: thefloatqueen
We took our daycare bill and turned it into the pool bill when kindergarten started. It was actually $108 cheaper a month for a 7 year $60k backyard loan. This summer has absolutely sucked. We had no spring, 60 something degrees or pouring rain until July. We had a 2 or 3 hot weeks and the last few weeks it’s been more fall like and nobody feels like swimming when dressed in pants and long sleeves. But that being said, Just looking at the beautiful blue everyday is still worth it. Last year was hot and we got 100 swims in. There will be plenty more good years to come.

Just checked today for example. 72 degrees in the middle of August. 30 degrees below what we usually call the ‘dog days of August’. Oh well, next year.

It did warm up eventually today. This morning was fall weather. I spent 2 hours this evening at a car dealership in the parking lot. 82 and humid on the blacktop and i woulda given anything for the pool to be there.

• Wow
Reactions: frogabog
Same here on the other side of the country. Reminds me of when I was a kid. Weird summer. Spent all that time and $ on a pool that my 16yo BEGGED for... and she's been in it about 7 times. Ironically, this mom who historically never gets in has been in twice. I do get to spend 3 minutes with it every night enjoying the lights watching the bleach waft out over the return though. So that's nice.

Reactions: Newdude
82 today, should be 85 tomorrow in Nj. Still nice swimming weather. Pool heated to 86 helps.

I'm in the same boat with rust. I'm looking at a whole new pool in the early spring. If my skimmer cut out is rusted through (checking it in September) I'll have to buy the Boss (granddaughter) a new one. She will not tolerate not having the watering tub in the back yard.

I'm in the same boat with rust. I'm looking at a whole new pool in the early spring. If my skimmer cut out is rusted through (checking it in September) I'll have to buy the Boss (granddaughter) a new one. She will not tolerate not having the watering tub in the back yard.
How long have you had this pool? I knew the potential rust factor going in, but not this fast. We are going back in forth if to buy another pool, or go with inground. We live in our pool during the summer, and its a great way to just chillax after a long hard work week. I would be lost if we didn't have a pool anymore..lol

Reactions: Lillie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water temp here in Dallas is right around 89-90 degrees, so it was very refreshing, considering we have been around 100-102 all week. I inspected the pool further, and I think we are good til end of the season, so we are going to enjoy it and get the most out of rest of the summer..

We took our daycare bill and turned it into the pool bill when kindergarten started. It was actually $108 cheaper a month for a 7 year $60k backyard loan. This summer has absolutely sucked. We had no spring, 60 something degrees or pouring rain until July. We had a 2 or 3 hot weeks and the last few weeks it’s been more fall like and nobody feels like swimming when dressed in pants and long sleeves. But that being said, Just looking at the beautiful blue everyday is still worth it. Last year was hot and we got 100 swims in. There will be plenty more good years to come.

We are in Ottawa, Ontario and we got a lousy spring but a good hot summer. The last couple weeks have been warm, but not as summery for sure. For us it doesn't matter. The pool is heated and we swim until at least mid-October pretty much every day. It is normally the battle with falling leaves that makes us know it is time to close it down for the season.

We are in Ottawa, Ontario and we got a lousy spring but a good hot summer. The last couple weeks have been warm, but not as summery for sure. For us it doesn't matter. The pool is heated and we swim until at least mid-October pretty much every day. It is normally the battle with falling leaves that makes us know it is time to close it down for the season.

Same here i have 60 or so oaks on an acre. I took down 12 that would have been on top of the pool but it doesnt matter. The leaves float sideways from all the other trees and loose the wind directly over the pool and drop there. So the leaves decide when its time to close. Its going to be interesting to see this year. It might get cold early and drop the leaves or it might stay mild like its been and go into November. We placed the pool with full view from our kitchen table so we look at it alot. I affectionately refer to the covered pool as 'the $60k trampoline', so i'll squeeze every last day i can looking at the blue instead of the green.

Reactions: Chickinvic
How long have you had this pool? I knew the potential rust factor going in, but not this fast. We are going back in forth if to buy another pool, or go with inground. We live in our pool during the summer, and its a great way to just chillax after a long hard work week. I would be lost if we didn't have a pool anymore..lol
6 years this year. I'm not going to bother with it right now. In mid September I'll pull the skimmer to see how the skimmer opening looks and if its hosed, I'll buy a new pool and install in the spring. I just dont have time to do it right now.

Our Doughboy Mystic Garden is 19 years old. Last year we cut out the rust around the skimmer and return openings (because of bad gaskets) and bolted galvanized sheet metal to the pool wall. Then replaced the liner. We did not see rust anywhere else along the walls.

So, 4 1/2 years for a Doughboy to rust out is way too early. Seems like a call to Doughboy is in order. :poke:

Well Doughboy said to contact the dealer we bought the pool from, and of course they havnt responded to my emails, nor return my calls..I really don't want to go up there and cause a scene, for I can get very irate, but I only do that when I know im in the right..

I tell my kids all the time, improve your argument not your volume. If you blow your top you’ll be dismissed regardless of who is right. It’s a fine line of being firm yet upset.

Reactions: Chickinvic
Well I guess you have to give credit to social media....I Bashed Doughboy on their facebook page, and man they have been direct messaging me all day long. They even contacted the dealer I purchased the pool from, and wouldn't you know it, 30 minutes later I get a call from the DALLAS pool store..Lol….Well maybe ill get some kinda of warranty after all....I have been pricing inground pools, and man, that's a lot of money...And im just looking for a small inground....I can afford it, but I love my money too much...Will keep yall updated if Doughboy comes through..

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.