Harrisburg, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When I opened the pool this year there were some rust spots on the skimmers. Both on the inside edge of the plate and and the outside edge in isolated spots. I took a few screws out and its not the screws. The pool is 4-5 years old and I have noticed this in the past a few times, but much less. The pool was acidic (a little below 7) and alkalinity was very low (I assume to all the rain since closed last year). So, I am thinking this is why it was worse this time.

I need to figure this out before it causes damage to whatever is rusting. When I feel inside the edge of the face plate, it feels spongy. I am thinking the builder left the foam behind the liner when they cut the opening for the skimmer. If so, should this have been removed from the sealing surface before the bolting the face plate on? I am thinking of lowering the water and taking the face plates off to inspect and correct any issues. I plan to buy replacement gaskets while I am at it. Looking at a skimmer detail drawing (attached), it looks like there is an outer gasket and inner gasket. I assume the inner is much harder to get at and I should just leave those alone? Also, I am a bit confused by this detail...what protects the edge of the pool wall? I have read about butterfly gaskets on above ground pools, but don’t understand how the wall is protected on an in ground installaltion with two flat gaskets like this.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Attachments

• 085E5770-C024-46B0-8C74-C9BE09C8E4D4.png
    085E5770-C024-46B0-8C74-C9BE09C8E4D4.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 17
Maintaining a pH in the 7's is very important, especially for your vinyl liner.

Let's see if some of our vinyl liner pool folks can give you some advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.