Rust Around Light Retainer Ring

May 16, 2018
Olive Branch, MS
See photo. Salt water vinyl liner pool. Removed the pool cover yesterday and found all this rust. I have to admit that I did notice a small amount of rust last year but didn't address it at the time (yes, I know I should have).

I replaced the liner two years ago. At the time, I replaced the gasket that goes between the retainer ring and liner, but reused the original ring and screws. If you look closely, you see that the screws themselves don't appear to be rusting, but the ring seems to be rusting where the screws go in. All of the light components (except gasket) are about 17 years old. Standard Pentair 10-hole niche.

My pH tends to go low in the off-season (pool covered). It was low when I opened the pool--I'm guessing that contributed to the rust. Do I just need to replace the ring and keep a close eye on the pH? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
Pool Care Basics
I'm guessing that contributed to the rust. Do I just need to replace the ring and keep a close eye on the pH? Any other suggestions?
Probably so. Yes, I would replace the ring. While off, use some Vitamin C tablets to remove the rust stains. You can crush them up in a thin sock or nylon and rub it on the area, or rub the tablets directly on a stain. Do your best to watch the pH in the future. Be sure to bookmark our page for lots of great info and enjoy the forum. :swim:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

See photo. Salt water vinyl liner pool. Removed the pool cover yesterday and found all this rust. I have to admit that I did notice a small amount of rust last year but didn't address it at the time (yes, I know I should have).

I replaced the liner two years ago. At the time, I replaced the gasket that goes between the retainer ring and liner, but reused the original ring and screws. If you look closely, you see that the screws themselves don't appear to be rusting, but the ring seems to be rusting where the screws go in. All of the light components (except gasket) are about 17 years old. Standard Pentair 10-hole niche.

My pH tends to go low in the off-season (pool covered). It was low when I opened the pool--I'm guessing that contributed to the rust. Do I just need to replace the ring and keep a close eye on the pH? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve did you end up taking this apart? What was the source of the rust?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.