Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Moved from HERE

See photo. Salt water vinyl liner pool. Removed the pool cover yesterday and found all this rust. I have to admit that I did notice a small amount of rust last year but didn't address it at the time (yes, I know I should have).

I replaced the liner two years ago. At the time, I replaced the gasket that goes between the retainer ring and liner, but reused the original ring and screws. If you look closely, you see that the screws themselves don't appear to be rusting, but the ring seems to be rusting where the screws go in. All of the light components (except gasket) are about 17 years old. Standard Pentair 10-hole niche.

My pH tends to go low in the off-season (pool covered). It was low when I opened the pool--I'm guessing that contributed to the rust. Do I just need to replace the ring and keep a close eye on the pH? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Probably so. Yes, I would replace the ring. While off, use some Vitamin C tablets to remove the rust stains. You can crush them up in a thin sock or nylon and rub it on the area, or rub the tablets directly on a stain. Do your best to watch the pH in the future. Be sure to bookmark our page for lots of great info and enjoy the forum. :swim:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Hi Texas Splash, My name is Sophie and I have the same problem as Steve did above where my ring rusted and the pool light floated up because the bottom clip holders and retaining screw hole on top of the ring rusted. My question is when I change out the new Pentair 10-hole standard liner sealing ring on my fiberglass pool do I need to also replace the gasket or can I just replace the ring? Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sophie and welcome to TFP! :wave: I split your post away from the others to keep your questions tailored to your pool, but linked it above for future reference.

For your question, I feel better asking someone like @MAPR-Austin who does field work and may have better advice on this issue. Please stay close to the thread and I'm sure he will reply when he get a chance. Very busy in the field.

In the meantime, be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page and enjoy the forum. :swim:

Hi Sophie and welcome to TFP! :wave: I split your post away from the others to keep your questions tailored to your pool, but linked it above for future reference.

For your question, I feel better asking someone like @MAPR-Austin who does field work and may have better advice on this issue. Please stay close to the thread and I'm sure he will reply when he get a chance. Very busy in the field.

In the meantime, be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page and enjoy the forum. :swim:
Thank You

Reactions: Texas Splash
As I am having issues with rust stains in general, looking forward to this thread and MAPR-Austin's feedback. As for your question, you may want to double check the rubber gasket seating properly. I had some issues as the water slowly penetrated into the lighthousing. I am not sure what's behind the liner but if you can check, that may help. My light is as old (if not older) as yours but no rusting issues at all, so I would check what's behind the liner. On a side note, I do clean out the housing every 2 seasons (i get lazy so I don't do it every season :) )

Generally you will want to figure out exactly what is rusting. Galvanized screws or old light rings can both be sources of rust.

Always use stainless steel screws and fasteners, and if you have a salt pool you should look for a light ring that is rated for saltwater.

@soso I don't do much work with liners, but I think you would want to replace the gasket as well.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Generally you will want to figure out exactly what is rusting. Galvanized screws or old light rings can both be sources of rust.

Always use stainless steel screws and fasteners, and if you have a salt pool you should look for a light ring that is rated for saltwater.

@soso I don't do much work with liners, but I think you would want to replace the gasket as well.
@MAPR-Austin Thanks for your insights. I did my repairs last year and didn't seem to work - here is the "old thread" with my repair details. Any advice / feedback as I thought I was able to repair at the source but still issues this season already.

Thank you My real question is I have a fiberglass pool and the Pentair light floated up bc the screw that holds it in place on top has nothing to screw into bc the hole has rusted and broken. I was wondering if I remove that ring away from that pool niche on the fiberglass and just replace it with a new stainless ring will that work? (I was using the guy's pic of his rust as a visual bc my pool light looks like that but I have a Fiberglass pool) I have no leaks so the niche that holds the light in the pool is fine just need the 10 screw ring that is on the outside of the niche so that I can put the light and cord back in it and safely secure it to the niche so that it will be in my pool where it belongs and not floating up. I see where I can order just the ss ring from Pentair but wasn't sure if I remove that ring if I would be messing up the whole big thing that is screwed into the fiberglass pool! It started out just being as easy as replacing the light but when it had nothing to screw it back to that became the problem! Any advice??

Thank you My real question is I have a fiberglass pool and the Pentair light floated up bc the screw that holds it in place on top has nothing to screw into bc the hole has rusted and broken. I was wondering if I remove that ring away from that pool niche on the fiberglass and just replace it with a new stainless ring will that work? (I was using the guy's pic of his rust as a visual bc my pool light looks like that but I have a Fiberglass pool) I have no leaks so the niche that holds the light in the pool is fine just need the 10 screw ring that is on the outside of the niche so that I can put the light and cord back in it and safely secure it to the niche so that it will be in my pool where it belongs and not floating up. I see where I can order just the ss ring from Pentair but wasn't sure if I remove that ring if I would be messing up the whole big thing that is screwed into the fiberglass pool! It started out just being as easy as replacing the light but when it had nothing to screw it back to that became the problem! Any advice??

That should work, but I would replace the gasket between the ring and the fiberglass panel. You could also try something like this, I *think* it would work on your kind of light. Not positive though.

That should work, but I would replace the gasket between the ring and the fiberglass panel. You could also try something like this, I *think* it would work on your kind of light. Not positive though.

Thanks for the advice and just to be clear on this I'm gonna drain the fiberglass pool below the light to replace the ring and gasket and is there a gasket sealant I should use? Sorry for all the questions it's just a pain when something happens to my pool even as simple as trying to rid it of mustard algae because of where I live in Rural Mississippi NOBODY ever wants to come out and help me!!!! With that being said I've become pretty good at DIY pool stuff just trying to get this right. Thanks again going to order the ring and gasket so I can have them to get started soon

Thanks for the advice and just to be clear on this I'm gonna drain the fiberglass pool below the light to replace the ring and gasket and is there a gasket sealant I should use? Sorry for all the questions it's just a pain when something happens to my pool even as simple as trying to rid it of mustard algae because of where I live in Rural Mississippi NOBODY ever wants to come out and help me!!!! With that being said I've become pretty good at DIY pool stuff just trying to get this right. Thanks again going to order the ring and gasket so I can have them to get started soon
I'm not sure on the sealant, but I don't think so. You could put a bead of silicone lube or something if you wanted, but I believe it is a simple compression gasket.

Reactions: soso

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Search for “pool light wedge”

They are used to secure a light in the niche when the screw no longer holds.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAPR-Austin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.