Rust (and hole) in Combustion Chamber housing - Pentair MasterTemp 200 NA heater 200kbtu

styopr

Jun 21, 2021
St Paul, MN
I've noticed significant rust in the combustion chamber housing of our 2007 pool heater, particularly where it connects to the manifold. We've had the pool for three years, but this is the first time I've inspected the heater's interior. I managed to clean up the rust and temporarily fixed the leak with heat-resistant foil tape, and it's working for now - heats the water and everything works. However, it clearly needs permanent fix. Could this issue be caused by condensation, a leaking gasket, or perhaps the heat exchanger? Is it worthwhile to replace the combustion chamber, or am I better off just getting a new heater? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_12C6D832-BFB9-4BE4-9528-589044DAF79C.JPEG
    IMG_12C6D832-BFB9-4BE4-9528-589044DAF79C.JPEG
    70.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3187 (1).jpg
    IMG_3187 (1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
With a heater going on 17 years there's not much life left in it so don't invest another dime. That rust basically means it's done.
Thanks! Good call, given the age: question about upgrading from a 200k to a 300k BTU heater for a 22,000-gallon pool: given the size of the pool and that I only use the heater occasionally but want it to heat up reasonably quickly, thoughts on upgrading to 300k BTU?

If you have a properly sized gas line I'd go the 399k btu. It'll use the same total amount of gas per the pool capacity to reach a gi en set point but just heat it quicker meaning it uses more gas for less time vs less gas for more time on a smaller heater = the same amount of gas used.

Reactions: 1poolman1