Rushing to add Edge 40 but not balanced yet

Jun 19, 2015
Rochester/NH
I just realized that we are leaving on vacation next week & I'm running out of time balancing before we leave. We opened the first week of June & my water is still slightly cloudy so I’m finishing up a SLAM. I have the Edge 40 plumbed in but haven’t connected electrical yet so I could add liquid chlorine as necessary. My current levels are FC 6.5, PH 7.8, CYA 30 & TA 180, we are leaving this Thursday for a week & I won’t be able to add anything so my choices are to either fire up the SWG or use pucks from the pool store which I’ve never used since I’ve been on LC since converting from a Baquacil pool last year. The next issue is that when we come back from vacation we are leaving again in 8 days (camping season)We camp a lot in the summer which was my motivation for the SWG.

If you've already added the salt to give it the 24 hrs required to acclimate ot the water, you certainly could use the SWG. Only concern would be do you have enough time to really ensure it will maintain the FC production you want? You would also have to increase your CYA to at least 60. Since your CYA is low and your TA is high, this is one of times perfect for tabs. The acidity will help control the pH/TA, and you'll probably have a CYA of about 40 when you return from the first trip. Maybe use tabs for now, let them increase your CYA, then transition to the SWG before the second trip? You should have a little more time to practice with it before leaving again.

Like pat suggested Raise your CYA and if you have salt in put it at 50% ( or higher ) and let it run for a couple days and see how it does. i have a 22k and cya of 80 and run my pump and edge 40 24/7 and at 35% my FC stays around 9 or 10. About to drop it a bar.
But raising my cya from 50 ( was probably closer to 40 ) to 80 made a huge difference.

Good news once dialed in you will love it, I am gone for 2 weeks at a time in mid summer and come back to the same FC and a clear pool 😎

Reactions: fishwater
Thanks for the great suggestions, I decided to add the salt today since the girls were ready to jump in. I’ll hold off from Turing it on until tomorrow at this point, I may still use pucks while I’m gone but this will allow me to test that it functions this week while I’m home. When I get back I’ll confirm levels & then go from there, sound like a good plan?

Reactions: markayash
Thanks for the great suggestions, I decided to add the salt today since the girls were ready to jump in. I’ll hold off from Turing it on until tomorrow at this point, I may still use pucks while I’m gone but this will allow me to test that it functions this week while I’m home. When I get back I’ll confirm levels & then go from there, sound like a good plan?
What ever works, plus I hate to make a change ( like switching to salt ) and leaving town ( Murphy law ) 😎

Plus your CYA is a little low so tablets are a good way to raise it

Last edited:
Reactions: fishwater
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.