Running filter on a timer?

1380ken said:
I am going to cut the wire. Why waste time disconnecting the GFI. There is plenty of cord on the filter. I might actually cut off about ten feet of the cord now that I think about it.

Sure then.
It has nice lugs that maybe could be reused to connect the new plug. Shouldn't have used CAPS, not that big a deal I guess.
Cheers.

Update.
Also turns out the lugs were too big for the new plug and I had to cut them off anyway. Overall success though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

twiser said:
Either unplugging the extension chord or timer off, that's the same line interrupt, ground or whatever (ground fault interrupter - the whole point of it).

@danpik: can you look up please the exact brand and model of your timer? I am not doubting you, but you seem to be the only one with a working confirmed setup. Perhaps you are using indoor rather than outdoor timer which functions differently?

My timer is an Intermatic HB31R. About 5-6 years old. It is also listed as ... Intermatic P1121

However, My timer is pluged into a standard wall recepticle type GFCI. There is no Factory installed GFCI on my cord.

Also, this is not an intec pool. My pump is a 1.5 hp 2 speed A.O. Smith Maxim that came with a 25' cord and a standard plug.

A question that seems to have not been asked yet...are these GFCI plugs being plugged into standard receptacles or are they being plugged into GFCI receptacles? On an electrician forum I am a member on there have been several heated discussions on the problems with GFCI recepticles being operated in series...Ie one after another. I have seen both instances of where they will cause nuisance tripping as well as living in perfect harmony. It is posible that somehow the timer is causing a current imbalance between the neutral and hot wires in the circuit which if big enough will cause a GFCI to trip.

@jimmydont529: can you post pictures or some general instructions of what you did? Which replacement plug did you get, with amp rating to match timer, etc? I assume once you open Intex GFCI plug it will be easy to figure out which wire goes to which connector on replacement plug? Based on what you mentioned about lugs being too big, I assume it was rated for a higher current than? That's why I mentioned if we can get a replacement plug with a same current rating and no need to cut anything?

@danpik: that explains why yours worked OK :) In my case, I went back to check it again since I tested it from two different outside power outlets (one with GFCI and the other one without). As it turned out, my outside outlet without GFCI is actually wired to another outlet in the kitchen with GFCI. Makes sense since by a code any outside house outlet (at least here in NJ) needs to be GFCI protected. So when I have it in series with Intex GFCI plug - there is no issues, until I add timer in series with it.

At this point I'm not so sure anything is wrong with these Intex filters equipped with GFCI plug. They do work, but not in series with timer and outside outlet GFCI-wired. Either way, the solution seems to be simply to replace filter plug with a regular one, and hopefully don't cut anything yet since its still under 90-day warranty ;)

You can use a standard 15 amp plug. The filter is very low current. The lugs were used to connect with screws. In a plug you just strip the wire and stick it in and tighten a screw. The plug has three wires, black is hot and goes onto the plug connector that has a brass screw. The white is neutral and goes on the silver screw and the green is ground and goes on the green screw.

Ran in to the same problem when I bought my Aube (Honeywell) digital timer.

http://www.amazon.com/Aube-Honeywell-TI ... aube+timer

I replaced my GFCI plug on the end of the filter/SWCG cord with this plug from Home Depot. It has a neat LED feature that tells you if the outlet is wired up correctly. It is nice, because it lights up green, when it has power too.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

Once I replaced the plug, it works great. Just so there is no confusion, I replaced the GFIC plug on the filter/SWCG with a regular plug, plugged that into the timer, and the timer into the GFIC outlet on the outside of the house.

What I love about this timer, is that I can set it up when I want the SWCG to come on for the day (around 1pm), and then if I ever need to vacuum the pool at a different time, I can push the big on/off button to manually turn it on/off, and not mess up the time that the SWCG needs to come on during the day. A coworker has a similar setup, except he has separate filter and SWCG, so he bought two of them, so the filter pump overlaps the time that the SWCG is on by about 15 minutes on each end, and he says it is working perfectly.

im having same issue with my intex 2650 sandfilter pump. no external timer (yet) but many mornings i go outside and find pump not running, reset tripped. annoying. is plugged into extention cord. i will replace gfci with standard plug.

to poster who asked "why dissemble gfci when you can cut it?"

my answer is warranty. if i disassemble it, connect up a standard plug, and pump quits next season (2 yr warranty), i will simply reconnect gfci and file warranty claim. ;)

now if you dont have warranty, then sure, cut the sucker... :D

My electrolytic cell started leaking at one of the pins where the plug connects. Called customer service, and they are sending a replacement cell. Granted, I still have my GFCI plug, but chances are, you'll never have to ship Intex the unit for inspection. I just think that the cell on this version looks like a bad design, and seems Intex realized that too, because the new version has a plate module that can be replaced, instead of the entire cell housing.

I have 2 pumps, separate for my solar heater, and this issue has driven me nuts all year. Sure glad I did the google search today for this!

Buying parts for normal plugs right now so I can go back to my precious timers and automated system. =)

Thanks for all the tips!

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.