Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2015
White Plains, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After being near rock-solid stable all summer, my latest CYA readings are increasing dramatically:
8/21: 35
8/22: 35
8/23: 40
8/24: 45
8/25: 45
8/26: 50
8/27: 60

What could be the cause? The only chemical additions I've made during this time are a half-gallon of LC every night as per my usual regime.
FC: 6.0
TC: 6.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 90

Added stabilizer after pool opening (late May) per sock method.
Then that indeed is very odd. We know new water has no CYA, so unless someone used tabs, powders, or some sort of stabilized product, the only thing left is testing error. Odd indeed.

Then that indeed is very odd. We know new water has no CYA, so unless someone used tabs, powders, or some sort of stabilized product, the only thing left is testing error. Odd indeed.
No kidding. I've been testing or years, so I don't think there's an error involved. But just to be sure, I repeated the tests when the numbers first started increasing; the results were the same.

Do you need new glasses :laughblue:

Other than that I have no idea, is there someone else who could look at it and see?? How many times do you pour back and forth, sometimes I will do it 20 times...

CYA only gets in your pool if you or someone else puts it there. Since you didn't......someone else did.

If that's impossible, then your testing is at fault.

I am curious why you would test CYA (normally monthly or so) for three consecutive days when you got a steady 35 ppm the first two days.??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you need new glasses :laughblue:

Other than that I have no idea, is there someone else who could look at it and see?? How many times do you pour back and forth, sometimes I will do it 20 times...
I shake for 30 seconds as per test kit instructions. And yeah, like everything else at my age, my eyes are probably starting to go.

Reactions: cowboycasey
CYA only gets in your pool if you or someone else puts it there. Since you didn't......someone else did.

If that's impossible, then your testing is at fault.

I am curious why you would test CYA (normally monthly or so) for three consecutive days when you got a steady 35 ppm the first two days.??
Wow...monthly, really?? Maybe it's just me and wanted to stay on top of things, but I test FC, pH, and CYA daily. Overkill?

yeah.... over kill. I'd suggest if your pool is established and stable doing the FC/CC and pH every other day or so. The TA and CH maybe every two weeks. The CYA monthly.

And of course if you've added or drained significant amounts of water or chemicals I'd do extra checks then to confirm.

Maddie

Try new reagent. I know that it's supposed to last forever but I had the same experience. Rapid unexplained CYA increase. I got new reagent and back to normal expected numbers.

I shake for 30 seconds as per test kit instructions. And yeah, like everything else at my age, my eyes are probably starting to go.
I am with you but mine took almost a year to figure it out LOL, the Doc asked me why didn't I see her 2 years ago... well ya see........ :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.