Run time question

Jan 26, 2015
marco island, fl
Let's say according to the run time calculator on this site I should run my SWG 12 hours per day. Let's also assume a 75% setting. If I set the pump to run for 12 hours straight I'm guessing the SWG will "produce" for 9 hours (45 minutes per hour.) Would it be any more advantageous to run the pump at 4 three hour intervals spread equally throughout a 24 hour period?

Some folks do that, sure. One advantage is that you pool gets skimmed thru out the day as well as frequent FC injections. You'll adjust your percentage or times based on testing.

But a lot also depends on which SWG you have, the size of cell, your pool size, etc.

Can you please fill out a signature line to describe your pool, its equipment, your testing and location information. This helps us a lot!

Maddie :flower:

You lose FC during the day from the suns UV rays. Typically 2-3ppm FC loss in the summer. So it is better to run your pump and SWG during daytime then at night. That way your FC does not drop too low during the day and risk algae taking hold.

There is no advantage to running the SWG at night versus the day except possibly lower night time energy costs.

It was more a generic question and not specific to my pool/equipment. I guess it makes sense to run it in the daylight, except if you have huge bathing loads at night. Thank you.

It is the FC in the water plus the reserve CL that is bound to the CYA that can be released that will sanatize the water when you have a high bather load. A SWG generates CL too slowly if you have the cell on to make a difference in a high bather load pool.

If you run your SWG at night you are just building up CL for when you lose it to daytime UV.

It is the FC in the water plus the reserve CL that is bound to the CYA that can be released that will sanatize the water when you have a high bather load. A SWG generates CL too slowly if you have the cell on to make a difference in a high bather load pool.

If you run your SWG at night you are just building up CL for when you lose it to daytime UV.
Thank. That makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.