*Rubber Expansion Plugs Stuck in Jets... Need Some Help!

BsPool

May 13, 2015
Ohio
Hi all - it's been a while since I've posted anything - but figured I'd go ahead and ask before getting back to my problem tomorrow. We called too late to have our usual company close our pool last year and the "new" company did a few things a little different. One being, they used the rubber expansion plugs for the jets (previous company used the threaded caps). I can't seem to get them out. They seem be really stuck and awfully far back in the pipe. I assume you just loosen the the wing-nut and they should pull right out - correct? They aren't budging by hand. I quickly tried using a pair of pliers - but again they wouldn't budge. So I just stopped messing with them - I didn't want to break anything.

I've attached the best pic I could get. It should at least give you an idea of how far back in the plug is - you can barely see the wing-nut.

Hopefully the crew at TFP can help!

Any advice is MUCH appreciated... thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Pool_Jet.jpg
    Pool_Jet.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 25
I assume you just loosen the the wing-nut and they should pull right out -
Correct. The wing nut is cheapo plastic and probably brittle in cold water, so go gentle at first.

I replicated the plug in a return fitting and here's what I'd do.

20240429_212422.jpg

Find the right size open end box wrench that fits between the wings and grabs both when you twist.

20240429_212635.jpg

Then use a screwdriver for a T handle. Put a couple wraps of electric tape on the pointy end of the screwdriver because let's be honest, you're going to drop it. :)

20240429_212450.jpg

Correct. The wing nut is cheapo plastic and probably brittle in cold water, so go gentle at first.

I replicated the plug in a return fitting and here's what I'd do.

View attachment 568939

Find the right size open end box wrench that fits between the wings and grabs both when you twist.

View attachment 568944

Then use a screwdriver for a T handle. Put a couple wraps of electric tape on the pointy end of the screwdriver because let's be honest, you're going to drop it. :)

View attachment 568945

Thanks for putting this together to explain (makes sense) - but I'm able to loosen the wing-nuts no problem. After doing so the rubber plugs didn't want to budge at all. Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question... but should the plugs simply pull out after the wing-nuts are loosened?

I'm able to get the nuts loose, but the plugs still seemed really jammed in there (not to mention back in the pipe pretty far). That's when I stopped - didn't want to break anything - or accidentally push the plug in further somehow.

One thought is to remove the nut and try pulling on the threaded piece with channel locks, but wanted to post the question(s) here first to be safe. It seems odd that the plugs are in so far and so super tight. Is that the norm for these?

Thanks again!!

. Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question...
That's OK. I was bored tonight and needed something to tinker with.
but should the plugs simply pull out after the wing-nuts are loosened?
Yes. But vacuum pressure may have sucked them in further than they should be. Or the closers had the wrong sized plugs on the truck and overtightened a smaller plug to make do.
One thought is to remove the nut and try pulling on the threaded piece with channel locks
That's what I'd do. First give the bolt the slightest push. It basically makes a T on the other side of the plug. You might be able to make it let go. But don't lose the bolt through the plug.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to wiggle it the whole way out with pliers. Pulling ironically makes it tighter when you become the wing nut so it may take some finesse.

Reactions: BsPool
That's OK. I was bored tonight and needed something to tinker with.

Yes. But vacuum pressure may have sucked them in further than they should be. Or the closers had the wrong sized plugs on the truck and overtightened a smaller plug to make do.

That's what I'd do. First give the bolt the slightest push. It basically makes a T on the other side of the plug. You might be able to make it let go. But don't lose the bolt through the plug.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to wiggle it the whole way out with pliers. Pulling ironically makes it tighter when you become the wing nut so it may take some finesse.
Ok - got it! I have a feeling this is going to be a pain. Plan is to remove the wing-nuts and set the channel locks. I'll try tapping the bolt just a bit to see if I can then pull them out.

I wonder if lowering the water below the jets will make any difference? Might give that a shot also.

Hopefully I can get them.

I'll let ya know - thanks for the help!!

Reactions: Newdude
You have to "wiggle" them out. Don't pull straight out. Try pulling at an angle to release the top of the plug first, then the bottom. Those plugs seem to be in way to far though. I would call the company that closed the pool and have them pull them out.

If all else fails, you may have to drill a hole in the plug and insert a hollow wall anchor that will expand behind the plug and use that to pull it out. Just make sure the expanded anchor is not wider than the pipe.

Reactions: BsPool and Newdude
Ok - got it! I have a feeling this is going to be a pain. Plan is to remove the wing-nuts and set the channel locks. I'll try tapping the bolt just a bit to see if I can then pull them out.

I wonder if lowering the water below the jets will make any difference? Might give that a shot also.

Hopefully I can get them.

I'll let ya know - thanks for the help!!
Before you fully remove the wing nut, loosen it to the last thread or two. Then knock the bolt forward - you won’t risk losing it in the return. Try and walk it out by rocking it with pliers/channel locks on the wing nut.

Reactions: BsPool and Newdude
You have to "wiggle" them out. Don't pull straight out. Try pulling at an angle to release the top of the plug first, then the bottom. Those plugs seem to be in way to far though. I would call the company that closed the pool and have them pull them out.

If all else fails, you may have to drill a hole in the plug and insert a hollow wall anchor that will expand behind the plug and use that to pull it out. Just make sure the expanded anchor is not wider than the pipe.
Thanks! And I definitely plan on calling them if I can't get them out easily enough.

Today I'm thinking the cold water may have shrunk it up in there, making it fatter and good and stuck.

Best of luck and keep us posted. :)

Reactions: BsPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got them out! I had to spin the wing-nuts as far as they would go without falling off. From there it just took a little finesse/wiggle to get them out. Glad I posted, because I probably would have just tried pulling - which I don't think would have done any good. Again - I wasn't familiar with these plugs - so just kind of had to be patient. I'm up and running!

Love that I can come here for answers - no matter how big or small!

Really appreciate it - thanks all!!