RPM vs GPM

Check the heater inlet temperature and compare it to the outlet temperature to see what the temperature rise is.

The SWG temperature is the heater outlet temperature.

The Temperature rise is Outlet - Inlet = Temp. Rise, which should be 16.8 degrees or less.

You can use this formula to estimate the flow based on the temperature rise.

Y = temperature rise.

X = flow in gpm.

Y = 672/X

X = 672/Y.

For example a flow of 40 gpm should be a temperature rise of 16.8 degrees.

A temperature rise of 11.2 degrees should be about 60 GPM.

As you can see, flow below 40 gpm results in a big temperature rise.

If the water temperature is 86 degrees and water boils at 212°F, then a temp rise of 126 degrees will result in boiling of the water and the heater will probably explode or be seriously permanently damaged.

A flow of 5.3 GPM or less will likely cause the water to boil and seriously damage the heater.

1691862652669-png.521732

1691863404397-png.521742
At 2750 RPM, in Pool Heat Mode, heater bypass closed, Spa:pool Makeup off the spa:

Inlet temperature 77 degrees
Outlet temperature into pool 88 degrees

Thanks.

Jim

Haven't we already covered a lot of this?

Yes, but I never really understood what the answer was and I have had 4-5 months experience with my pool now.

Pool builder set pump at 2750 RPM x 9 hrs, 3450 RPM Prime, 3450 RPM spa heat, 2250 Pool Heat, manual heater bypass about 30% open, Makeup to champagne spa 50:50 Pool to spa overflow continuous.

My desire is to run pump slower to save energy, close the heater bypass completely and not have to fuss with it unless to isolate the heater for a reason, set spa:pool makeup to 100% to pool, use 3 spillovers per day to refresh spa water, run prime at 2750 and pool heat at 2250, spa heat at 2750, so heater never gets over recommended GPM. I was trying to NOT modify my equipment as setup is under warranty by pool builder.

I would like to put this issue to rest also, believe me, just confused.

Jim

At 2750 RPM, in Pool Heat Mode, heater bypass closed, Spa/pool Makeup off the spa:

Inlet temperature 77 degrees.

Outlet temperature into pool 88 degrees.

Temp rise = 11 degrees.

Flow = 672/11 = 61 GPM.

Y = temperature rise.

X = flow in gpm.

Y = 672/X

X = 672/Y.

Below is an estimate of your system curve.

So, the flow at full speed is estimated to be between about 78 GPM and 95 GPM.

1698077442510.png

At 2750 RPM, in Pool Heat Mode, heater bypass closed, Spa/pool Makeup off the spa:

Inlet temperature 77 degrees.

Outlet temperature into pool 88 degrees.

Temp rise = 11 degrees.

Flow = 672/11 = 61 GPM.

Y = temperature rise.

X = flow in gpm.

Y = 672/X

X = 672/Y.

Below is an estimate of your system curve.

So, the flow at full speed is estimated to be between about 78 GPM and 95 GPM.

View attachment 537122
So, I would assume that the slower 2700 RPM speed and GPM flow rate would be ok to run through the heater with the bypass closed? I am trying to get away from the pool builder settings to a more efficient use. Sorry to beat this issue. Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.