Rough Walls on Fiberglass Pool - Adding undissolved buffer to the pool

cbohm81

Jul 18, 2023
Galesburg, IL
New pool owner here... I followed the instructions on the back of the baking soda bag and added it directly to the pool. I think this has now contributed to a sandpaper feel on the walls of the pool. Pool is less than 2 months old. Is muratic acid and scrubbing the only way to remove this? It doesn't look white or gray - just feels rough.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Could you provide a full set of water test results please? Your PoolMath logs are blank. Test results should help us piece together what may be happening. We would first be curious as to what prompted the need to increase the TA with baking soda. Your current levels can also determine how best to approach the issue. Thank you.

Also see -----> Pool Care Basics

Yes, I'll post my readings as soon as I get back home (traveling for work). Have taken water to pool supply store and was told to add muratic acid and levels went down a bit too much. However, everything else has been right in line with Ph on the lower end (which is where I was told to keep it for fiberglass).

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Could you provide a full set of water test results please? Your PoolMath logs are blank. Test results should help us piece together what may be happening. We would first be curious as to what prompted the need to increase the TA with baking soda. Your current levels can also determine how best to approach the issue. Thank you.

Also see -----> Pool Care Basics
IMG_4409.jpeg

Okay, so I would offer the following:
- If those test results were correct, there is nothing that would appear to explain which your shell would feel rough all of a sudden.
- If the FC is correct, it's too low and you run the risk of algae (not related to your original question).
- Accurate testing. Here at TFP we place very little value on free local pool store testing. Time & time again we see it flawed and the results are almost never consistent. We simply don't trust their tests and neither should you.

I understand that the roughness concern is your priority right now, and you have about 1.5 months or so left in your season, but I would highly encourage you to get your own TF-series test kit (link in my signature) or a Taylor K-2006C if you don't already have one. Accurate at-home testing is the only way to go and a test kit now should last you now and well through the next season.

At the moment, I'm just not seeing anything to explain the roughness. The only possibility is that there is indeed a chemical imbalance that is way off, but the pool store test numbers are indeed flawed and don't reflect it.

Just got my kit yesterday afternoon and did verify the results. The TA was a little higher.

It's so strange! I feel like it's mostly the walls and not the sides of the steps. I've started brushing the walls 3-4 times a day and that does seem to be helping a bit. I guess I'll just keep testing and making sure everything is in line and hope it goes away. You can't see the texture - just feel it.

Test kit, great! :goodjob: Be sure to add it to your signature so we know what you are using. Your TFP account is already connected to the PoolMath APP, so feel free to upload your test results to the APP and we should be able to see them here on the forum.

Enjoy your weekend. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm seeing the same thing on my fiberglass pool. Below the normal waterline, the gel coat had lightened up and is rougher than above the waterline. I've been following TFP for 2 of the three years I've had the pool and with a SWG for the last year. I guess this is normal for a fiberglass pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.