Enumjon

Apr 30, 2020
Tijeras, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
At the end of last season my pool umbrella started getting chewed on by a rodent of some type. There was a gradually increasing number of holes at the bottom of the pool umbrella, with the umbrella closed. It actually looked like it was getting shot with a shotgun, but the holes were gradually increasing. I am assuming it was a pack rat, but it could have been a squirrel or normal mouse. We live in the forest, so we are surrounded by teeming hordes of rodents. Getting rid of them all is not realistic, we just do our best to keep them out of the house.

Now that a new umbrella is on the way, any ideas on how to keep the varmits from chewing on this one? I hesitate to keep the umbrella up, winds will likely destroy the umbrella. I heard they dislike crinkly plastic, has anyone had luck wrapping a plastic bag around the umbrella pole - above the table? Any other ideas to keep my umbrella safe?

My setup is a metal table and chairs with a hole in the table that the umbrella fits through. Umbrella base under the table. I keep the umbrella closed except for when we use it. Table is on a cement patio between the pool and house, but the trees and rodent happy land is about 20 feet away.

This paper seems to address mostly buildings, but there might be some good ideas in it. If I understand you correctly, it's the fabric that is being chewed on? In that case I would either bring it in when not in use, or wrap it with something like hardware cloth to keep them out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If the umbrella was up the slinky trick might work but I don’t know about when its down
Maybe spray some peppermint oil on it to deter them?
Oh & a camera so u can know what you’re up against.

If the umbrella was up the slinky trick might work but I don’t know about when its down
Maybe spray some peppermint oil on it to deter them?
Oh & a camera so u can know what you’re up against.
I like the slinky, maybe some ducting? Also anything that "smells" to keep critters away is mostly old wives tales.

I am going to apologize in advance. I am going to be of no use to this discussion. I don't know what to do to keep rodents at bay in an outdoor area. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with too many.

But any talk of rodents, my brain goes here...

Hd Size GIF

If you see one of those guys, let them have the umbrella. :laughblue:

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.