Robot n00b question suction vs plug-in

Nov 24, 2018
Tampa, fl
Greetings and salutations.

I've got my first pool pretty dialed in over 4yrs. I upgraded from the basic Hayward suction bottom crawler to the G3 shaker.

I'm looking into a suction that will climb walls and do stairs and benches.

My pool is about 11k gallons, so quite small. I can barely even "swim" 4-5 strokes, being 6'2".

Is there a decent suction robot to do walls, stairs, and benches or is that the plug-in feature set?

Lastly, if it's plug-in only capability, what do I do with the suction hose connector in the pool, just turn it off and leave it unused?

Forgot to mention I was considering the Zodiac MX8 as an upgrade.

I also noticed that leaving a robot in the pool 24/7 is a bad thing. Is that true for all robots? I leave the G3 connected to the suction line all the time and it starts and stops with the pool pump. I'm assuming that's not good for MX8 or a Dolphin plug-in?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Curious about all of this too. I'm extremely lazy so think I would be bad about manually putting the robot in and taking it out. But my 20 year old Kreepy Krawly isn't the greatest. I added some stuff to get it to stop getting itself stuck all the time, but it doesn't do walls (as I suspect all suction do), but still feel it could scrub the floor better, at the very least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.