Rio Olympic pool

The most complete and simple explanation for this embarrassment of olympic proportions can be found in this article in which Mario Andrada (the chief spokesman for the Rio 2016 organizing committee) says "Chemistry is not an exact science". That's his exact quote; I didn't make that up!! As someone who works with chemistry every day, I can confirm that chemistry is an exact science. And as all we TFPers know, pool chemistry is definitely an exact science. Pools only turn green only when chlorine gets too low or when metals get too high. Sounds pretty "exact" to me!

Apparently a quote from someone said this:

"We confirm that diving training in Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre pool is cancelled this morning. The reason is that the water must be still so the pool can return to it's blue color as soon as possible" - Phillip Wilkinson, Rio 2016 Spokesperson

Seriously? They must be getting pool store advice.

The most complete and simple explanation for this embarrassment of olympic proportions can be found in this article in which Mario Andrada (the chief spokesman for the Rio 2016 organizing committee) says "Chemistry is not an exact science". That's his exact quote; I didn't make that up!! As someone who works with chemistry every day, I can confirm that chemistry is an exact science. And as all we TFPers know, pool chemistry is definitely an exact science. Pools only turn green only when chlorine gets too low or when metals get too high. Sounds pretty "exact" to me!

Exactly!
Exactamundo!
Exactamente!

Apparently a quote from someone said this:

"We confirm that diving training in Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre pool is cancelled this morning. The reason is that the water must be still so the pool can return to it's blue color as soon as possible" - Phillip Wilkinson, Rio 2016 Spokesperson

Seriously? They must be getting pool store advice.
Ha ha ha ha ha

"The water must be still". First they blame the algae on a lack of wind, now the cure is to leave the pool "still". These guys flip-flop more than an American politician!

I wonder how they plan to keep the water still while the pumps & filter run?

Someone needs to call these idiots out, I wish I had a way to get to Rio!

Dom

Womens diving on locally right now... that pool looks terrible! You can't even see the steps on the exit... blue by wednesday...smh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
We are watching too! My 6 and 8 year olds were like "Ewww! Why are the diving in that?!" They are ready to go to Rio to help them take care of their pool! ?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now they are saying they have decided to drain most of the water from the pool and replace it with water from a practice pool. Drastic, but they are using this pool for polo and synchronized swimming, too. Apparently, they added hydrogen peroxide (wth??) in an attempt to control the algae and it made it worse.

According to that article they are going to drain the pool that polo and synchronized swimming use and refill it with water from the practice pool. I hope the practice pool water is in better shape! They are not replacing the water in the diving pool since "divers don't need to see underwater". Nope, they don't need to see which way is up or which way it is to the side of the pool!

I would love to read their pool maintenance guide. They truly are clueless. Is there no one in Brazil that maintains a sanitary pool?

I was watching diving today, and the NBC spokesperson said they "accidently added hydrogen peroxide to the pool" turning it green. They said they will be "cleaning the sand filters".

And here I am doing a SLAM because of a little bit of algae on the steps. :D

Michael

You know the sad thing though.........

Almost all of us (myself at the head of the list) was all this confused when it came to pool care. Running around in circles listening to anybody and everybody who came up with ANY "fix" that would address our problems. I can't picture the stress the people in charge are feeling down there even if they are making major blunders time after time.

Is hydrogen peroxide even an accepted way to sanitize a pool? I have never heard of adding peroxide to a pool.

Hydrogen peroxide is used at two separate times for pool care. First, it's used to reduce the chlorine level in over chlorinated pools. Second it's a key item in the Baquacil system. Peroxide is an oxidizer and will kill off algae if used correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.