Right sizing for a winter cover?

ioinva

Jun 3, 2020
VA
So I closed the pool today, but I am having second thoughts. Following directions, I drained the pool (Intex Prism 16'x48") below the lowest ports, plugged the ports and brought inside all hoses, including the after-market hayward strainer. I put a 4' pillow in the middle, tethered it on 4 points with somewhat loose lines and covered with a 15' cover (pool is 16').

The cover barely touches the water and I'm not sure switching up to a 16' cover would do the trick. The shape of the pool changed as the water volume is settling on the bottom. I'm just not sure it's safe.

I'm tempted to refill the pool and raise the level so that the cover rests on a more supportive surface. Thoughts? And if I do that, how high? I have 2 low-set water intake holes, 2' below the edge, as well as a cut-out for an after-market Hayward strainer, and the original return (just widened, same position).

I removed the strainer, blocked the return with a foam plug and screwed the frame into a flat piece of wood behind to support the shape of the hole.

Do I rise the water below the strainer or should it go above? Or leave it below the lowest hole and get a much bigger tarp?

I'll post some pictures in the morning.

Post pics. The cover definitely needs to be mostly supported by the water. The cover should be 4-5 feet bigger than the pool. I think with a smaller cover you are risking damage.

Your fittings seem very low maybe someone on here with more experience with that set up can advise.

Those pools often have ports that are halfway up the wall. The regular closing instructions don't account for these. They need to be plugged so you can fill back to normal if you don't have a skimmer, and if you do have a skimmer, drain just below that.

I believe your pool came with winterizing plugs. If not you can buy them online. :)

Gah. I had posted the pictures on someone else's thread... here they are:

Yes, it is an Intex Prism 16'x48" pool. It had the original 1.25" fittings, with the intake set low. I added a throught-the-wall skimmer, with an 5"x5" opening and enlarged the return to a 1.5". In VA, it's a c** shoot on winter weather. It's mostly 40-50s with a few days of deep freeze 10-20s and maaybe one big snow event every few years. I tried to take some pictures, but the fittings are covered by the top. Waterline is 5-6" below the outside edge of the cover (which is set to cover the fittings. I lifted it to get you a sense of the height).

I have the usual plugs covering the outlets, and a strainer plug (see picture from their amazon site) covering the larger hole.

2C8C0412-D937-4263-A6D3-30A6789CEDAF_1_102_o.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 12.46.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 12.48.47 PM.png

(caps under strainer covers -- the rubber ones with a screw don't fit these openings...)
Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 12.47.58 PM.png
(screw-on cap for the 1.5" enlarged water return with the eye fitting.)

So I am adding water to just below the skimmer, and hopefully the cover will have more contact with the water. I can also raise the wire on the outside of the pool to get more fabric on the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So I am adding water to just below the skimmer, and hopefully the cover will have more contact with the water.
I bet it will be fine as is. The picture I had in my head was alot worse. All those folds and flaps will pull tight as soon as some rain accumulates, making up the slack difference and the cover will stretch some as well.

Adding a few inches of water won't hurt, so go for it for some extra insurance.

Reactions: ioinva and Decoy205
I had a similar issue with my pool too as it was smaller than the cover I had the year before. As new dude says I think you will be ok! Keep an eye on it.

I’m running a pump to make sure no major weight or water displacement happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.