Yeah, Thats tight, you'd be exactly at the limit with a 0" intake, so you're not going to have recommended intake length or service space behind. I would consider a 2" 90 on that stub, to a 2" x 10" intake to the filter turned sideways, and then just extend the power and the return?

Hello, the pool co. is changing the Superflo to an Intellflo3 (1.5 hp) . Is there anything I should be aware of that need changing, filter, electrical, pipes are 1.5 in. Thank you, please reply soon!
Hi Ruthie, congrats, I think you'll be really happy with it. Without knowing your existing setup it would be hard to say, but your filter and electrical should be just fine. The smallest out of the box intake size for the I3 is 2", but again without knowing your setup and needs hard to say if that will be a problem. Is the intake to your current pump 1.5" ? If you have a 1.5" skimmer line and a 1.5" main drain line, you can tee them up to a 2 or 2 1/2" diverter valve and probably get better efficiency and throughput, pretty sure youre PB would sort that out.

el,

I believe the suction side is different and the return side is the same. The manual gives you a layout diagram..

I know for sure that the IntelliFlo3 is not a 'drop in' replacement for the original IntelliFlo. Some plumbing will have to be reworked.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MaverickFL
recommended length into the pump for 2" pipe is 5x pipe diameter or 10".
In my opinion, this rule is vastly overrated.

As long as the pipe is sized correctly, there is no significant benefit to getting 5X the pipe diameter.

The rule comes from pumps that do not have a strainer where the water goes directly into the eye of the impeller.

The pumps also ran at 3,450 RPM (Full Speed) all the time.

With no strainer and running full speed, the rule does make sense.

With a strainer and running less than full speed, the rule is basically irrelevant.

As long as the water velocity is below 6 feet per second, I would not worry about the 5X rule.

If you can get it easily, then do it; if not, don’t make a big deal out of it.

Actually this rule comes directly from the installation manual for the new pump, which comes from the engineering/design team of the people who design, manufacture and support the pump. IMHO anything else is opinion and conjecture. But.... if we're going down that road, I believe it has more to do with straightening turbulence and flow with the water, improving the priming and efficiency of the pump than it has to do with anything involving a strainer. They do say in the manual that this is necessary to extend the life of the unit. At the very least, it could be a support issue, or potentially a warranty issue if you have trouble with the pump. The first thing they ask is it installed correctly according to the guidelines.

I believe it has more to do with straightening turbulence and flow with the water,
IMO, pushing the water through a screen (pump strainer) negates any gains. :ROFLMAO:

I most certainly agree it's best practice and simply cannot cause harm having the straight pipe. But I believe this is one of those things that looks better on paper than in practice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my opinion, this rule is vastly overrated.

IMHO anything else is opinion and conjecture.
Which is why I said that it is my opinion.

I seriously doubt that a warranty was ever denied due to the installation not meeting this requirement.

They would have to prove that the failure was directly attributable to the installation.

I agree that you should try to follow all guidelines as much as possible, but in some cases, it’s just not worth the effort to get the distance.

In fact, adding 90s and moving the pump around can actually make the design worse.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
@MaverickFL

When manuals get updated, they very often only update what is directly changed on the new design. They rarely go back and remove old and obsolete notes, etc.. I've seen this at almost every company that I have ever worked for.

If you have the room, there is no reason not to go with 5 x... but, even if you have a 90 degree input right at the pump, it will not make enough of a difference for anyone to even notice..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MaverickFL
They do say in the manual that this is necessary to extend the life of the unit.
I do not know of any installation issue that was ever caused by not following the rule.

There are many installations that do not follow the rule and I have never seen a problem that was attributed to not following the rule.

The only time it might be an issue is if the pump was right on the verge of cavitation and the turbulence made the last bit of difference, but that would be a bad design due to the pipes being too small.

If you have a pump without a strainer, like some commercial pumps, then I would definitely follow the rule.

If you were going to run the pump at full speed all the time and the pump was going to be near its maximum flow limit, then I would follow the rule.

For typical residential installations, I would follow the rule if it was easy enough to do so.

However, if it required a lot of extra time and effort, I would probably not worry about it.

If you have any examples at all where not following the rule actually caused a problem, please present them.

If you can explain how not following the rule would actually cause a significant issue, please explain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.