SpockF4

Apr 30, 2023
Orlando FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok maybe a silly question but I thought I would ask the experts. I have never been sure how many gallons my pool holds. I’ve seen all the various ways to calculate it but my pool is an irregular shape and has an attached hot tub. My best guess is it is about 12000 gallons. I just did a test and found the FC to be 5.5. I added one gal of 10% liquid chlorine and waited about an hour and retested. The resulting FC was 12.0 a rise of 6.5ppm. Is there any method of reverse engineering the math to determine the actual capacity of the pool based on the FC rise with the gallon addition? My thinking is that math is not possible due to the number of variables involved such as temperature, amount of sunlight, algae content etc. At any rate I thought I would ask. Thanks for any info.

I’m not sure of the “mathy way”, but when I started I used an online pool volume calculator after measuring the pool dimensions and then added some room for error with the spa and came up with 15,000 which works for me because when I add anything, pool math is able to correctly predict what might happen.

Reactions: Newdude
There is a chemical way of calculating pool size. I did it myself - came up to almost exactly 20k gallons (and as the post says it still has a margin of error, but it's enough for you to work with confidence on additions to the chemicals in the pool.

It does require quite a bit of TA reagent.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.