Reuse sand in sand filter?

DocBob

Jan 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a house with a 1 year old sand filter. It recently started leaking from the upper bulkhead… it turns out there’s no support (no slab, no blocks). It’s sitting on the dirt and the whole unit is leaning/settling!
Anyway, I’ll have to empty the filter, place some sort of support, fix the connections, and put it back together.
Questions:
- Can I reuse the sand? Or do I need to replace it?
- Do I need to have someone pour a slab, or will placing it on pavers be enough?

Attachments

• IMG_6739.jpeg
    IMG_6739.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 11
I bought a house with a 1 year old sand filter. It recently started leaking from the upper bulkhead… it turns out there’s no support (no slab, no blocks). It’s sitting on the dirt and the whole unit is leaning/settling!
Anyway, I’ll have to empty the filter, place some sort of support, fix the connections, and put it back together.
Questions:
- Do I need to have someone pour a slab, or will placing it on pavers be enough?
Depending on the size it can be quite heavy. A slab might be a better option for a large filter. You can reuse the sand though. Use a shop-vac to suck it out.

Reactions: DocBob
Questions:
Looks like a Hayward S-244T filter. They hold 300# of dry sand. If you want to re-use the sand, be sure to put the sand you remove on a clean tarp so you don't mix dirt in with it.
You can use pavers, but there are also premade equipment pads that will hold the weight of that filter when it is full.

Reactions: DocBob and Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.