Reusable temporary leaves & debris dirt control barrier ground level deck 200' perimeter during the rainy windy gusty season by erecting a low fence

Gary Davis

Aug 29, 2022
Modesto, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Has anyone here ever erected a temporary re-usable deck perimeter debris barrier at ground level?
I'm in the research phase where I'm asking for suggestions to explore.

A walk up and down all the aisles in Home Depot brought up these ideas upon first inspection.
  • six to ten inch tall temporary wooden or plastic slats?
  • three or four inch diameter hundred feet long portable drainage socks?
  • ten inch tall low maintenence rosemary or lavender bushes? (removed in summer)
But I'm not good at visualizing what doesn't yet exist (some people are very good at that - but I'm not).

Therefore, I'm asking for ideas from those who have erected temporary dirt-control low-barrier fences around the perimeter of their in-ground pools.
I need to erect a temporary winter dust and debris barrier of about two hundred linear feet around the ground-level poured concrete deck.
There are not many trees around but plenty of farms and fields which have seemingly infinite amounts of dust & detritus that blows around, seemingly for miles into my pool.
The deck is concrete at ground level and there is no pool cover.

One idea is to plant low growing almost no maintenance rosemary or lavender bushes, but that's my wife's job and she already told me to just put up a fence instead as it could be removed for the summer season.

In the past I erected a temporary four foot high fence during the upcoming dusty rainy windy season but it always blew over in the high gusts and I don't want a permanent fence set in concrete posts around the pool (the entire property is already permanently fenced in and gated for pool safety).

I'm thinking of buying and cutting to size long wood or plastic slats of about four to ten inches or maybe a landscape barrier sock of about a hundred feet by 3 or 4 inches filled with sand or low-lying bushy but light plants that don't require maintenance but which can be removed at the end of each season perhaps?

I could cut the slats at about six inches and pound them into the ground about two inches deep for a four-inch tall barrier - but is that enough?
The taller the barrier, the more expensive and worse, the harder it would be to step over every day.

I'm asking for ideas, keeping in mind it's temporary and if I can re-use them each year, that will cut down on the costs.
About two hundred linear feet is needed for the concrete perimeter as the wind can come from any direction.

Attachments

• slat.jpg
    slat.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sock.jpg
    sock.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
  • rosemary.jpg
    rosemary.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
  • lavender.jpg
    lavender.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Silt Fence:
That's nice.
I like that tractor supply place. Much better than Home Depot. Prices are more reasonable too.
The Tenax Silt Fence is the ideal field fence barrier for sediment control around construction sites or wherever there is bare or disturbed earth. The woven geotextile of this construction silt fence is designed to filter out sediment from construction site run-off while allowing clean water to run through. This woven sediment control fence is pre-assembled with hardwood stakes attached every 10 ft.
  • Field fence filters sediment out of construction site runoff or wherever there is bare or disturbed earth
  • Woven sediment control fence helps to ensure a free-draining, environmentally safe site
  • Double stapled at the top of each post, single along length
  • Silt fence protects construction sites and slopes from soil loss and erosion
  • Easy to install thanks to hardwood stakes attached every 10 ft.
  • The woven geotextile of this construction silt fence allows clean water to run through it
  • Durable and tear resistant
  • UV treated to prevent sun damage
  • Reusable for lasting use
  • Easy to move and store for convenience
  • Weight: 450 g/m2
  • Tensile strength: 16 kN/m
  • Packaged in 100 linear ft. rolls
  • Color: Black
Two of them will likely cover the 200 foot perimeter.
  • Having never heard of a "geotextile", I looked up what material it is made out of.
    • Geotextiles are permeable fabrics which, when used in association with soil, have the ability to separate, filter, reinforce, protect, or drain. Typically made from polypropylene or polyester, geotextile fabrics come in three basic forms: woven (resembling mail bag sacking), needle punched (resembling felt), or heat bonded (resembling ironed felt).
They'll blow over unless set in concrete, but maybe there will be less tendency to blow over if I slit them in half widths of 1-1/2 feet tall instead of 3 feet tall?
  • Do you think that woven "geotextile" can handle being slit in half without unraveling?
  • If not, maybe that woven "geotextile" can be flame edged afterward to prevent unraveling?
Thank you for that idea, which I did not see when I walked up and down every aisle in Home Depot!

Attachments

• tenax.jpg
    tenax.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 5
  • tenaxexamples.jpg
    tenaxexamples.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
maybe I can even slice the three foot height in half (but maybe the cloth will unravel if I do that).
You will have to inspect. It is a woven material, likely (heat) sealed/terminated at the edges. Does not look like is impregnated (which would allow it to be cut).

If you inspect and can separate the weave, I would not cut it. It is double stapled at the top and single stapled down the face. You might be able to remove staples from the bottom half and fold it up and staple if you want 1/2 height.

.They come in 2' and 3' high.
1668627396973.png

TS also has the two foot high version..

If you have that much dust, I would think that you would need at least 3 foot to prevent stuff blowing in.

Maybe even go higher to be extra safe depending on how much dust is blowing.

I would go at least 10 feet high, but that's me being extra cautious.

Landscape fabric and temporary posts should work.

Maybe allow for a foot of fabric on the ground and place bricks or rocks on the fabric to hold it down.

1668628666713.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.