NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Not sure if this is a legit issue or just personal preference but is there such a thing as a “better” pool return size?

Our pool has 8 returns total and 2 are at the sundeck and 2 at a deep end bench. The others are in the deep and shallow ends of the pool. The ones in the sundeck and deep end bench are 4 spinning spa-like returns but they fail, always have and do apparently as per pool stores. End of last year I changed all of them to the same size as what we have in the main pool which are 3/8”. Pool PSI rose a couple points as expected. I didn’t care much at the end of the year.

So now as it’s getting close to opening I’ve been wondering does it really matter what size I have at all? I kind of want to change the sundeck to larger opening so there’s less “pressure” shooting in that area. Then I started thinking maybe the main pool ones should be slightly larger to 1/2” so overall pool pressure is lower and therefore less strain on the pump? But will lower pressure have less circulation? Maybe NONE of this matters???

The spinning jets cause more turbulence to clean the shallow water deck and steps. Having a larger opening will reduce the "jetting" action.
The larger pool returns will still circulate the pool, it just loses the jetting action. Also, with 8 returns your flow (GPM) is divided across those. so you could plug a standard return to increase the flow through the remaining other returns.

Whatever works for you.

Smaller eyeballs don't create any strain on the pump.

Small or large achieves the same objective of getting the filtered heated water into the pool. That is all that matters.

The spinning return seemed to have less turbulence on the sundeck and deep end bench but I’ve been wanting larger return to have less turbulence. Also seems to be better to drop pressure in the system but as long as it’s circulating in a similar way.

In the end I have no idea why there are different sizes other than for general aesthetics - ie. jet shoots harder or softer, more spinning on jet ones, etc etc