Retrofitting a balancing tank to existing pool

Mechwang

In The Industry
Oct 13, 2023
florida
Just wondering if anyone have encountered city or DOH requiring your building to install a balancing tank for the condo pool?
Quick background, in building being maintained is in Florida, pool have concrete restoration and resurfacing, and replacement of pump and filters.

Welcome to TFP.

This Forum is focused on residential pool owners and has few members who maintain a public or condo pool. One of them is @JPMorgan

Are we discussing an infinity or vanishing edge pool?

Just wondering if anyone have encountered city or DOH requiring your building to install a balancing tank for the condo pool?
Quick background, in building being maintained is in Florida, pool have concrete restoration and resurfacing, and replacement of pump and filters.
Codes may be very different in Florida than here in Illinois. I'm just wondering, though, based on your comment about the concrete restoration, if that might come into play in terms of keeping the pH in balance. They might want you to install a tank to monitor and automatically feed acid, as needed. I don't think the water level would have anything to do with a "balancing tank". Do you have an auto-fill feature on your pool, i.e., a float that turns on the fill line if water in the pool gets too low?

Agree with Poolbreh's comment... DOH or city (whoever is requiring this) should be able to site the requirement in the code.

Last edited:
I don't do much in Florida, but I believe they have a requirement that all gutters have to discharge to a collector tank, which I think is the same as a balance tank. This is to make sure there is no direct suction where someone could get entrapped.

To retrofit one, I think you would need significant plumbing rework including new piping from the gutter ports and main drain to the new balancing tank. Then the pump pulls from that tank, and goes through filter and returns as it did before.

You will want an engineer involved if there isn't one already.

I don't do much in Florida, but I believe they have a requirement that all gutters have to discharge to a collector tank, which I think is the same as a balance tank. This is to make sure there is no direct suction where someone could get entrapped.

To retrofit one, I think you would need significant plumbing rework including new piping from the gutter ports and main drain to the new balancing tank. Then the pump pulls from that tank, and goes through filter and returns as it did before.

You will want an engineer involved if there isn't one already.
Makes sense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.