Resurface + Pressure Test? (Pool Maintenance Help Needed)

poolsummer

Jun 22, 2022
Las Vegas
Hi everyone,

This forum helped me out a great deal previously when picking out a pump/filter and I'm hoping to get some advice again so I don't get swindled by a local pool maintenance company.

I'm attaching photos of the pool. Let me know if these photos aren't helpful and I'll take more.

In essence:

1) Surface is spotted (chipped?) and there is solid mineral buildup on the walls above the water
2) Water level drops a suspicious amount; not sure how many gallons but need to run hose ~2 hours per week to keep water levels same--I'm planning on a pressure test
3) Related to #2, the pool and spa lights both stopped working so I believe the leak may be related to the seal around the lights

BLUF: I'm planning on pressure test to find leak/fix lights and leaning towards resurfacing but not sure where to start on what type of surface--or maybe I should just acid wash?

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 9
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 9
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 9
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi everyone,

This forum helped me out a great deal previously when picking out a pump/filter and I'm hoping to get some advice again so I don't get swindled by a local pool maintenance company.

I'm attaching photos of the pool. Let me know if these photos aren't helpful and I'll take more.

In essence:

1) Surface is spotted (chipped?) and there is solid mineral buildup on the walls above the water
2) Water level drops a suspicious amount; not sure how many gallons but need to run hose ~2 hours per week to keep water levels same--I'm planning on a pressure test
3) Related to #2, the pool and spa lights both stopped working so I believe the leak may be related to the seal around the lights

BLUF: I'm planning on pressure test to find leak/fix lights and leaning towards resurfacing but not sure where to start on what type of surface--or maybe I should just acid wash?
Pool surface needs to be re-finished.
You will need a leak-detection company to reliably find, and possibly repair, leaks.
Lights out could be as simple as bad bulbs, tripped GFCI, bad switch. Need to troubleshoot. Start with what type of lights are they? LED? Incandescent?

Pool surface needs to be re-finished.
You will need a leak-detection company to reliably find, and possibly repair, leaks.
Lights out could be as simple as bad bulbs, tripped GFCI, bad switch. Need to troubleshoot. Start with what type of lights are they? LED? Incandescent?
Got it.

1) Pool surface re-finishing - specific coating etc recommended?
2) Sounds like don't let pool company do leak detection? So I will need to have pool company drain pool, then leak company do pressure test, then pool company finishes pretty much
3) Lights are incandescent. Resetting GFCI does nothing. Switch okay (should replace anyways?).

1.You have a plaster pool. White plaster. Colored plaster. Quartz. Aggregate. PebbleTech. Fiberglass. All are available in your area.
2. Leak detection is done with the pool full. There are a few companies listed in Las Vegas that do the work.
3. You need to troubleshoot the lights. Is there power going to the junction box? Even a simple continuity test of the light cord can tell if the bulbs are burned out. There are LED replacement bulbs that work well. If the switch is old you can change it for peace of mind, they're inexpensive. If you're not familiar with electrical testing, especially on a live circuit, hire a pro. We aren't all out to swindle you.

1.You have a plaster pool. White plaster. Colored plaster. Quartz. Aggregate. PebbleTech. Fiberglass. All are available in your area.
2. Leak detection is done with the pool full. There are a few companies listed in Las Vegas that do the work.
3. You need to troubleshoot the lights. Is there power going to the junction box? Even a simple continuity test of the light cord can tell if the bulbs are burned out. There are LED replacement bulbs that work well. If the switch is old you can change it for peace of mind, they're inexpensive. If you're not familiar with electrical testing, especially on a live circuit, hire a pro. We aren't all out to swindle you.

Will get quotes for different surfacing and leak detection.

Going to see what I can find out with multimeter and go from there on electrical.

Thanks again. Peace of mind having someone look over what may be needed.