results from tf-100 kit: what to do next

Re: High CC level

Anytime CC is greater than 0.5 ppm, shocking is called for.

Unless you have a salt cell, use either bleach (5-6%) or chlorinating liquid (10-12%). Trichlor is not a suitable chlorine elevator. It takes too long to dissolve.

See the Chlorine to CYA chart in the Pool School section. I doubt you need to get to break point.

Scott

It would be helpful if you added your pool and eqipment specs in your sig. Go to "User Control Panel" (top left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig. :wink:

30K gals is a large pool. What is your fill water source? Well or municiple?

How many 3" tabs did you add? Did you add CYA separately? If yes, how much?

Are you confident of the CYA test results?

btw, welcome to the forum :wave:

Our fill is City water though we have a water filter/softener. this was only used for the last 5 inches.

3 hours after dumping in 5 gallons of liquid chlorine:

FC= 1.5
CC = 7
CYA = 60
I"m condifent of CYA. Added instant softener yesterday. Perhaps CCs are due in part to the CYA that I added.
I'm at my wits end with dumping in liquid chlorine. This is getting very expensive and I don't have any end in sight. I'll be shocking for weeks to get my FC up since the pool isn't holding any chlorine!

Nope, the CYA that you added has nothing to do with the CC's. You have had high CC's since you first posted.
The good news is that they are coming down. :goodjob:

Okay, shock level for CYA of 60 is between 18 and 24. I suggest you aim for 24 FC. That is a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine for that size pool.

If you still have tabs in the chlorinator, you should stop using them because the CYA is already on the high side.

How expensive is your municiple water? Say, per 1000 gallons?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can i use granular chlorine or hould I stick to just liquid?
You cannot use tri-chlor. Have you tested for CH?....you may not be able to use cal-hypo either. I don't particularly like either one of them for shocking so stick with bleach.

Have you read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School?

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

OMG!! AFter adding tons of shock, calling a pool service co. to close pool, and researching costs to remove the pool because my FC = 0......BUT my CC reading was FINALLY .5!!!! So, i guess I'm on my way. I just shocked again.

Ph= 7.2
CYA = 50
CH= 440 (high, right?)

Pool store guy said liquid chlorine will cause scaling to my plaster pool. Thoughts?

Questions
1. What's the best way to remove leaf & acorn stains?
2. Also, I have staining down the walls of pool (from not diluting chemical??). Is this treatable.
3. Rebar showing in 1 spot on wall. If not repaired, will this eventually leak?
4. I have a bit of pink algea (bacteria). is silver algeacide the best treatment? Should we not swim until this is cleared?

thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.