Restoring old pool

What a great start!! This whole thing is going to be fun to watch. PLEASE make sure to share all of you work on the pool and house!
Kim,

I agree, this has the makings of a fabulous thread... a little bit of everything... substructure, liner controls, piping, equipment and finish to say the least. I can't wait!

J, you're on a roll. Keep it up Buddy! And all our experts have your back.

Chris

Reactions: Newdude
Hey everybody so I had someone come out and they are willing to take on the project! First off I need to get the pressure test. He offered to do it for $250. Should I let him do it or hire an actual plumber?

He also said there is a spot in the coping that is bent probably from the heavy machinery used to take out the concrete but said he might be able to make it so the liner would still stay in there but gave us the option of just replacing it. He is waiting for his demo guy to give us a quote for that.

He gave us a quote for $11,700 to fix the bottom, put wall foam on the walls and put a liner in it. Obviously this will go up if the plumbing is no good and needs new coping.

He also said “In that price on fixing the bottom as long as there’s not groundwater, that is the price if there is groundwater, we will have to get the groundwater under control so that will be more of a cost”

I am going to get the pressure test first before I put any real thought into that other stuff obviously but just wanted to get y’all’s opinions on what they are telling me/ any advice!

Thanks!

I would definitely get the plumbing pressure tested by an independent plumber.

Also, can you show a better picture of the skimmer? It looks like it has popped out of the pool wall.

How many returns are there in the pool?

Is there a pool light with a light niche in the wall? (Typically under the diving board)

Also, can we get some closeups of the fiberglass stairs?

Your likeliest sources of leaks will be the skimmer, the light niche, and/or the stairs. Those things need to be in good working condition before any liner goes in. Replacing or repairing any of those means lots of digging and possible trenching which will add to the cost.

I would definitely get the plumbing pressure tested by an independent plumber.

Also, can you show a better picture of the skimmer? It looks like it has popped out of the pool wall.

How many returns are there in the pool?

Is there a pool light with a light niche in the wall? (Typically under the diving board)

Also, can we get some closeups of the fiberglass stairs?

Your likeliest sources of leaks will be the skimmer, the light niche, and/or the stairs. Those things need to be in good working condition before any liner goes in. Replacing or repairing any of those means lots of digging and possible trenching which will add to the cost.
I'm with Matt on the plumber. They make standard pressure test kits and the plumber probably already has them from previous jobs. Makes the pressure test way easier. May cost a couple hundred more but well worth it in the long run. If it tests out OK or more likely, leaks are at least located you could have a very viable way to get this pool working and decent looking for a fraction of the cost for a replacement. Sounds like your current quote for bottom and wall repair plus liner replacement is pretty good. What experience does he have? References?

Chris

Reactions: kul