In The Industry
Apr 14, 2022
Flowood Mississippi
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Mostly as an experiment, I have taken on one residential client. They have a 35,000 gallon vinal lined, unheated, uncovered backyard pool in central Mississippi. They have been chlorinating it nilly-willy by tossing trichlor tablets into their skimmers. Their CYA is presently at 67 so they don't need any more of that. I currently have them on liquid chlorine because that is something I use in all of my commercial pools and understand. I am trying to decide on an ideal long-term chlorination strategy and am leaning towards an erosion feeder using Calcium Hypochlorite tablets (no CYA onboard) with an occasional splash of liquid chlorine to bring things up to target.

Anyone have opinions or suggestions for a better strategy? I have a water guru Sense 2 installed to keep tabs on things.

A swcg or a liquid doser (like a stenner or liquidator).
The swcg is easiest as you don’t have to procure the liquid chlorine anymore. Although it has a higher upfront cost (because you’re buying all the chlorine up front) the long term cost is lower with a swcg as compared to other chlorination methods. We recommend a system rated for 2x’s the pool’s volume.
A 60k gal rated system is as big as they get unless you wanna deal with 2 cells.
Circupool, pureline & pentair have 60k gal rated cells. The budget & other equipment/automation should be considered when picking one.
Cal hypo tabs add calcium. The chlorine they add gets consumed but the calcium remains similar to cya. It’s trading one problem with another.
Vinyl pools without heaters really don’t need to add calcium.
Too much calcium causes scaling on all pool types.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.