Replaster and depth restoration?

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hey everyone,

I started an old post about this in 2016, and it's finally time for me to act on it. I recently hired a PB to replaster my pool. It is an in ground pool from the 1980s, and well over due. They removed the plaster, and it turns out there were TWO layers of plaster. I believe the previous owner just replastered the pool on his own without removing the old plaster, in order that he can add mosaics, which came out pretty nice. Anyway, I mention this, because in addition to the mosaics and second layer of plaster, it is now very clear that they added concrete to reduce the depth of the pool. You can see very clearly where the concrete was poured in. There is a layer of plaster separating the concrete from the gunite, right?

Here is my question again. What are your thoughts about having them remove that filled in concrete? The demo team wants $3000 to remove it, because they said they are uncertain what's under it. To me, it seems like you just start jack hammering and using the layer of plaster as your guide on when to stop. This way, i can have my deep pool as it was originally intended. Also, they put in a fake drain and didn't bother to plumb it down to the original drain, so I'd like to restore that if it's recommended. I understand that there could be rebar, and maybe they did something to the original shell. Should I be concerned about all of that?

I appreciate all your thoughts, including why I should or should not have the deeper pool.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 50
You can keep on going as long as you are prepared to open up a can of worms or maybe luck out.

Pools don't need a main drain although a main drain can help circulation in the hopper of a deep pool. You don;t know if there were leaks in the main drain piping.

Can you identify the main drain pipe at the equipment pad or connected to a skimmer? I would scope out where the main drain connected before deciding if it was worth trying to restore it.

Why do you want a deep pool?

A deep pool takes more water which takes more chemicals and takes longer to heat. A deep pool has costs at what benefit to you?

Hi Allen, thanks for your reply. I don't know if I want a deeper pool or not, that's why I'm soliciting opinions. I have just grown up knowing that most every pool I've ever been in has a shallow and deep end. You're right, though, I would need more chemicals - something to think about. We use a solar cover every summer, here in Southern Cali, and it works just fine, so I don't even use my heater at all. I also know that most people like the shallow pool so they can stand anywhere in the pool. It's just a thought that I need to decide on over this weekend, since my PB asked me to decide so he can line up the workers for the demo. I really like my PB.

Also, they put in a fake drain and didn't bother to plumb it down to the original drain, so I'd like to restore that if it's recommended.
Likely you would need to upgrade the main drain to VGBA compliant. Likely cost more than the chip out of the concrete.

Likely you would need to upgrade the main drain to VGBA compliant. Likely cost more than the chip out of the concrete.
Marty, when you say upgrade, are you talking about the drain part at the hole in the gunite? they were already going to replace any and all pieces in the gunite and plaster as part of the original price. or, are you talking about the entire system of plumbing?

VGBA requires a dual drain system for anti entrapment. It is an extensive remodel. It might be part of the $3000, but most VGBA upgrades without the jack hammering of all that concrete cost about that much. I would ask for the price without an main drain upgrade. Live without a main drain, which you do not need in S Cal.

What is the depth profile of the pool currently?

With that Slide there I'd want a deeper end too. Or consider that some folks will hit the bottom of the pool when using the slide. Do you use that slide??

I'd skip having a main drain if I were you. Do you have more than one skimmer?

Maddie 🇺🇦

The question is can your wallet take the hit if you decide to go deep? If so then do it! There is nothing like taking a good dive in the a deep, cool pool after mowing or such! Do you have kids? If so they will also love diving into a deep end!

Kim:kim:

What is the depth profile of the pool currently?
The filled in portion brings the depth to a little over 5 feet deep. That's why I'm guessing they need to unearth about 3 feet of solid concrete, or whatever is mixed in with that. again, the plaster between the concrete and gunite is very apparent if you look at my attached picture, which is why I'm guessing it's feasible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With that Slide there I'd want a deeper end too. Or consider that some folks will hit the bottom of the pool when using the slide. Do you use that slide??

I'd skip having a main drain if I were you. Do you have more than one skimmer?

Maddie 🇺🇦
oh my kids and I love the slide. and yes, it could be relocated to the deep end if we proceed with this. right now, the 5 feet hasn't really posed a problem, but if you go down head first and sort of dive in, there is some risk of hitting the bottom. I'm not so concerned with the main drain, really. my PB even said it wasn't necessary. there is a hole in the skimmer that was filled in with concrete or something.

The question is can your wallet take the hit if you decide to go deep? If so then do it! There is nothing like taking a good dive in the a deep, cool pool after mowing or such! Do you have kids? If so they will also love diving into a deep end!

right, so i'm asking if $3,000 is reasonable to remove what could be around 3 feet deep of concrete. and yes, i COULD justify the extra cost, but have to hope there isn't any other underlying issue once we decide to break through it. Again, I've always been in pools that had deep ends, and yes, it is fine to dive head first. My teenage girls said they are indifferent as is my wife. I was just thinking that IF we ever wanted to deepen the pool, now is the time, since I hope not to have to replaster for a long time.

I’m surprised the quote is only $3k. I like a deep end as well. I can’t see the plaster layer in the picture though.
so the center mass looks darker than the walls, that is the fill in. i have pointed out the border which is all in white, all around. it's one of the 2 layers of plaster they came across when demo-ing the plaster from the walls and floor.

Attachments

• pool.PNG
    pool.PNG
    664.3 KB · Views: 13
so the center mass looks darker than the walls, that is the fill in. i have pointed out the border which is all in white, all around. it's one of the 2 layers of plaster they came across when demo-ing the plaster from the walls and floor.
Ok, I see. I’m curious how they’ll know when to stop removing material. I guess they just notice the color change and they chip away at it? Hopefully there’s not a big problem with the original shell they tried to correct with the concrete.

I am also surprised at the $3000 as that is going to be a HUGE amount of work. Does the price include hauling away the old stuff? Will they sign a contract with that price listed and no way to add on more cost if they find something else or it is harder than they thought??

If that is a solid $3000 I say go for it!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.