Replacing SWG with Intellichlor IC40

GCyr

May 16, 2020
Queen Creek, AZ
We currently have a Breeze 540 SWG, Intellicenter 8, and Intelliflo VSF pump for an 11,000g pool. We are looking to replace the SWG with the intellichlor IC40. My question is: Since we have the Intellicenter, do we need the Power Center for the IC40, or will the Intellicenter provide the power? Also, is this something that we could install ourselves (by simply using the same plumbing that the Breeze is connected to)?

Can you upload a picture of the face of your IntelliCenter, and of the bottom? We're looking for the fuse (on the face) and the connector (underneath) that would indicate that it's SWG-ready.

I believe IntelliCenters come both ways, ready and not, but I'm not sure. Others here will know. So this is a bump to get some more eyes on your thread.

And a third pic of where you want to install the IC will help us figure that out for you, too.

G,

First... What idiot would install an IntelliCenter, IntelliFlo pump and then add a Breeze SWCG??? :scratch:

Second.. Since your new IntelliCenter did not come with a SWCG, it will not have the internal Power Center. You can double check.. If you have an internal SWCG power center you have two transformers.. A small system transformer and a much large SWCG transformer. Similar to this..

I doubt that the new cell will fit in the same exact spot your old cell did, so some plumbing will have to be adjusted. If you can do a little PVC work, then you can do it yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Dirk
Dirk and Jim R,

We had the Breeze system prior to installing the Intellicenter (the Breeze came with the install of our saltwater pool). We are wanting to replace the Breeze with the IC40. Looking inside the Intellicenter panel, we have a place for the "optional" SWCG transformer, so looks like we can just add that, and I would think that would be cheaper than buying a Power Center for the IC40. If we add the transformer, do we need anything else, such as changes to the computer board? Attaching photos, hope they're what you requested.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 16
G,

Well, there is a lot more to it than just the transformer..

Transformer
IntelliCenter Fuse and wiring
Surge card (Changes AC into the DC the cell use and is where the RS-485 connections to the cell are made)
Cable between the surge card and the bottom of the IntelliCenter.
Cable between the IntelliCenter's com port and the Surge card.

It can be done, but it won't be cheaper.

Thanks,

Jim R.

While the Power Center is not cheap, the individual parts will be quite a bit more, as Jim points out.

The external Power Center will add another clunky box on the wall behind your pad, along with wires and conduit. That didn't play well with my OCD, so I gutted my Power Center and snuck all the parts into my Pentair Automation box.

Conceivably you could do the same, if the look of the external box would bug you. It's technically a DIY project, but it takes some doing. And it would certainly void any warranties, so there's that. I wrote about it here, which would also give you some idea of what it takes to add the parts to an existing Intellicenter (mine is an EasyTouch, but the steps would be similar).

Maybe you could find a used Power Center online, say, from some pool owner abandoning his Pentair SWG for some other brand. He'd be throwing his worn out SWG away, but the Power Center would still be useful.

Regarding your plumbing, I can't quite make out all the pipes. The IC40 is about a foot long, and the installation instructions suggest an 18" run of straight pipe leading into the IC. So you need some room for it. You can install them vertically (in fact, that might be the preferred orientation), so you probably have a way to make that work. The trick is removing what you have now and leaving enough exiting PVC pipe to glue onto. If you can manage that, then there is always a way.

Are those two valves just under your existing SWG? Those must be isolation valves. With a VS pump I'm not sure what purpose those would be serving. Those could probably go away. We'd need more pics of other angles of that area of your plumbing to be of further help.

Thanks to you both. Helpful info. Decided that the way to go would be to call our trusted pool expert who did a great job installing our pump and is quite familiar with Intellicenter. Sounds like, in the end, it will be well worth it. Our knowledge is obviously limited so DIY doesn't sound like the best idea. He's going to install the power center and SWG and said it will be able to be controlled by the Intellicenter, and will come with a 3 year warranty (much longer than the one we would have if we screw up with installing it ourselves). Thanks again for your advice.

By the way Dirk...our OCD also kicked in (LOL), early after our install. We planted pygmie palms behind our water feature and our equipment is behind that. We already have a power unit on the wall, so we will be able to live with the new one. Thanks again for all the help.

1681778700982.jpeg

Thanks to you both. Helpful info. Decided that the way to go would be to call our trusted pool expert who did a great job installing our pump and is quite familiar with Intellicenter. Sounds like, in the end, it will be well worth it. Our knowledge is obviously limited so DIY doesn't sound like the best idea. He's going to install the power center and SWG and said it will be able to be controlled by the Intellicenter, and will come with a 3 year warranty (much longer than the one we would have if we screw up with installing it ourselves). Thanks again for your advice.
That is a solid plan!

Love the palms, that looks really nice. It obscures the wall a bit, and then blends into the neighbors' tropical plants, which kinda extends your yard! I really like your deck and the edge tile too. Everything looks great!

Ha, the holes on the skimmer lid line up perfectly with the joint in the deck. Is that the only way it fits, or is that just who you are?! ;)

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...another question that I'm sure you will have answers to.

We have our IC40 installed and working with Intellicenter. However, the salt level reading is at 4300. Light is solid green.

We did a Taylor k-1766 test and it read 3800.

Took a sample to Leslie's, reading was 4540 (with their automated test), and 4000 on their manual test, which they said is more accurate than the automated test.

Took a sample to another pool store and their test showed 4500.

The numbers seem to be all over the place.

Is the IC40 accurate, or does it need to be somehow calibrated?

Is the IC40 accurate, or does it need to be somehow calibrated?
G,

No, and it can't be calibrated...

The cell reports what it thinks the salt level is and its accuracy is +/- 500 ppm.

This is why the first rule of owning a SWCG is to have the ability to test the actually salt level of your pool water. I use and recommend the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. This test is +/- 200 ppm.

The goal is to make the cell happy, but not have the actual salt level above or below the cell's limits.

As long at the actual salt level is between 2800 and 4500, it does not matter what the cell reports as long as it shows good salt.

Water temp has a lot to do with how accurately the cell reports the salt level. The cell tests the salt level every 12 hours, so if it tests at 6 am and again at 6 pm, you can have quite a change between the morning reading and the evening reading.

I try to run my actual salt at about 3200, as for me anyway, I can start to taste it once it gets too much higher.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.