Replacing my IC40

Rrebel

May 30, 2018
Aruba
Hi guys, after 6 years, my IC40 seems to have died. I've noticed that the prices for replacement units have increased significantly. I've also seen various alternatives on Amazon, such as imitation cells that fit my Pentair system and complete kits that are cheaper than a replacement cell from brands like Blue Works. Do you have any advice for me? Is it really worth buying a Pentair cell again or would a cheaper alternative be just as good?

You get what you pay for.

You pay your money and take your chances with generic cells.

TANSTAAFL.

I only buy OEM Pentair cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
6 years in a place like Aruba is a great run for a cell!
Oem is the way to go to achieve those same results again. Also, With all your automation it’s best to stick with what you know works as it should.
None of The “ic” type knockoffs have a great track record & may end up costing you more in the long run in time & $$.
There are other complete “generic” systems (circupool, pureline) that have better reported reliability than most but blueworks isn’t one of them. Those systems would also not be able to be integrated with your automation as you have it now.

I've noticed that the prices for replacement units have increased significantly
Wait till you see what they're charging for bleach, it went up more. 😁

I'm ok with gambling on a generic for anything else, but SWGs have a set lifespan and the size of the plates inside determine its lifespan. The generic cell may be half the price with 1/4 of the lifespan and you'd never know at purchase time. If they listed the lifespan you could compare 3k hours to 10k hours, but the ones that skimp tend to hide that info.

Reactions: Mdragger88
R,

Keep in mind that you only need a new cell, you should not need a new power center...

Tell us why you think the cell is bad.. It may be bad, but your pool is 11K gallons, so it may still have plenty of life left in it..

The main way to tell if the cell is bad, is that the 'Cell' light will flash, even when the cell is clean.

Tell us what your cell does..

Edit.. Even at $1,200 dollars, that is only $200 a year for all the chlorine your pool needs for 6 more years..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.