Replacing Mastic with Trim-a-slab

May 21, 2015
Great Falls, VA
I have an in-ground pool (Virginia) surround by a stone slab patio, pool size is 20X40. Between the pool 'edge stones' and the rest of the patio hardscape is an approximately 1 inch wide joint seal, I believe called "mastic"....it's not masonry grout but some sort of polymer and is somewhat flexible...not 100% sure?

Anyway, it's degraded, is no longer water proof and needs to be replaced.

I've already gotten one price quote on the replacement for this from my servicing pool company, they open and close the pool and in years past have cleaned it but I clean and maintain it since I retired. The quote from them is about $750, 100 feet at $7.50 per foot, but the scope of work just says to remove and replace caulk, nothing else.

I'm curious if:

a) This is a good price since I assume it includes materials,
b) Should I get 2nd and 3rd quotes,
c) Is this simple enough of a procedure that my general contractor can do it.
d) As I was doing research on this I ran across trim-a-slab, which is a polymer expansion joint replacement that looks like it would work.....any reason on why it wouldn't work: Concrete Expansion Joint Repair & Replacement, Sidewalk Caulking, Slab Expansion Joint, Driveway Seam Filler/Sealer

I re-grouted a bunch of stone around the pool myself a couple of years ago and some more needs to be done but I'm planning on contracting that out to the guy I use as my general contractor. My pool company had also quoted a different line item for replacing the grouting but quoted $29 a liner foot for that and I know my contractor would be a better fit for repairing that.

Any thoughts, advice, or lessons learned would be appreciated.

a) This is a good price since I assume it includes materials,

Yes. But what mastic will be used? Deck-O-Seal or Sikaflex 1A are recommended. Not some cheap caulk from HD.

b) Should I get 2nd and 3rd quotes,

Yes.

c) Is this simple enough of a procedure that my general contractor can do it.

Yes.

It is just a lot of work bent over on your knees. Prep work is 70% of the work scraping and cleaning out the expansion joint to ready it for the new mastic.

d) As I was doing research on this I ran across trim-a-slab, which is a polymer expansion joint replacement that looks like it would work.....any reason on why it wouldn't work: Concrete Expansion Joint Repair & Replacement, Sidewalk Caulking, Slab Expansion Joint, Driveway Seam Filler/Sealer

I doubt your expansion joint is an even width that will fit into.