replacing after washout/ flood

boguesmom

Apr 26, 2024
FL Keys
Because we had a saltwater flood event that undermined our previous pool and pad after 5 years, we are upgrading our pad and replacing our pool with the same dimensioned resin wall pool.
Our already established deck was built to the orignal pool's height after it was filled with water so that the resin top edge overlapped the deck perfectly.

How do we
1 upgrade that pad to prevent a similar washout in years to come?
2. create the correct height of sand/ pool wall relationship to meet our already established deck?

I am hoping there are ideas or tricks we haven't considered on how to set up and prepare the sand pad
and adjust its height to compensate for it shifting down after being filled with water and keep the pool from being too high ( a step-up tripping hazard) or too low (not fitting up against the deck's original cut-out)

Thanks for any ideas or directions to a thread where options for this type of setup may be discussed.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

We had to replace our pool after the deck was built. We got the same size pool with the same number uprights. We had SO hoped we would not have to move any of the blocks there were under the uprights and we would be able to match it to the deck.........................well the installers tried their best and got it close but it did not match :( We ended up adding boards around the deck to "fill in" the gaps from the deck to the pool top caps.

We were luckier than you in that we did not have to rebuild the base. That is going to add some extra thinking and doing. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Take your time and think and talk any all ideas you come up with so others can share their input.

I wish you luck!

Reactions: Newdude
Hey BM and Welcome !!!!

Got any pics of the area ? What height was the old pool ? How high is the deck currently with the compromised base ?

I don't think you can protect against seawater. Even if you poured a concrete slab, if the current went the right (err wrong) direction when flooding or receeding, it would undermine the slab. It doesn't mean there has to be catastrophic damage everytime, just that mother nature is going to do damage as she pleases. Maybe next time the base holds but the flood floats a Volvo into the side of the pool.

I would go with a taller pool that you can dig down a few inches to meet the deck height.

Reactions: boguesmom