Replacing a Mastertemp 400

Jul 6, 2012
Austin, TX
Apparently a familiy of rats decided the heater was a great home and destroyed the inside of the heater over the winter :-( Yuck and booo.... Pool technichian came out and told me it needs to be replaced. It is the 125,000 BTU version and the quote to replace it is around $3300. That seems high to me, am I wrong? How complicated it is to replace since all the connections already exist. Is it something I could do?

That is typical pool company pricing. You have to consider the warranty you have with the pool company install versus DIY.

Hookup is not tough if you are comfortable working with electric, plumbing and gas, moving equipment around, and disposing of the old heater. I suggest you review the installation manual and see if you are comfortable with the tasks it describes.

You may need a building permit if your local municipality requires it.

Can you add a location to your member profile?

You are correct I am in Austin, TX,

My neighborhood is replacing his pool equipment and he gave me his old heater. Same model and everything. Not new, but free :) It looks like from the manual it is just turn off the gas, electricity, plumbing to the old pump. Remove those connections and then reverse for the new/old heater. Am I missing anything? I would pay someone local to do it, but I suspect none of the pool companies would perform the job.

You have automation? Donor have automation? You know how the fireman's switch work? Review the install manual.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.