Replacing 3/4hp WhisperFlo, been quoted Superflo VST 1.5hp

Pizza

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2017
Burbank, CA
My Pool is 25-30,000 gal. I've had the Whisperflo for a decade (it don't whisper no mo, that's for sho)

The municipality requires a variable speed pump nowadays but do I really need a 1.5hp pump?

Is there a smaller option that will be variable and quiet?

Thanks!
Jim

When it comes to variable speed pumps, they should be called variable hp. The bigger you get, the lower hp you can run it to pump the same flowrate. The Superflo VST is fine. You can lower the rpm to do what you need it to do. I assume the Barracuda is a suction side cleaner, so you may need higher rpm to run that. Do you use trichlor pucks? If so, you need to run the rpm high enough to erode those.

If it were me, I'd get the Intelliflo. My requirements may be different. I have the superflo. Almost all VSPs run at low RPMs get an air bubble. We don't know why, and it only happens at low speeds. SOMETIMES, my bubble gets big enough as to lose prime in less than 24 hours. Superflow has 3 programs. You can set three programs up each with their own speeds. They run in order, 1, 2, 3. I'd like to run high speed for 2 minutes every 6 hours. This would protect from losing prime if I'm away. Can't do it with superflo, can only do one segement at high speed in 24 hours. Can do it with intelliflo.

ok awesome. Yes The BArracuda is suction-side but it too has met with its own demise and I am shopping for a new vacuum. I was about to start a new thread post for that actually.

I don't use pucks much but that is good to know.

Tahnks

If it were me, I'd get the Intelliflo. My requirements may be different. I have the superflo. Almost all VSPs run at low RPMs get an air bubble. We don't know why, and it only happens at low speeds. SOMETIMES, my bubble gets big enough as to lose prime in less than 24 hours. Superflow has 3 programs. You can set three programs up each with their own speeds. They run in order, 1, 2, 3. I'd like to run high speed for 2 minutes every 6 hours. This would protect from losing prime if I'm away. Can't do it with superflo, can only do one segement at high speed in 24 hours. Can do it with intelliflo.
That's great info. I'll check the prices and definitely consider it.

That's great info. I'll check the prices and definitely consider it.
I'm not saying you need to purchase an intelliflo, could be any vsp you can find. I would just make sure that there are more than 3 programs. I think intelliflo is 8 total. Other brands could have multiple programs too.

Reactions: Pizza
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.