Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2022
Ville platte, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The liner is finally being changed on my pool ($$$). The pool is about 20 years old. The pump (no controller) keeps shearing off the impeller (Replaced it twice already within 1 year). The sand filter is in rough shape.

I believe it is time to replace the pump and the sand filter. Pool is around 30,000 gallons. What would be the recommendations for a new pool pump and filter? (Budget around $2,000, but willing to spend more for better quality)

Also, the light on the deep end is out and needs to be replaced as well. What's a good light?

Sand Filter Tag small.jpg

Post pics of your pool and equipment pad so we can see what you are working with.

Is your pump 120V or 240V?

Post pic of the pump and the pump motor data plate.

How do you control your pump?

What model and size is your pool light?

Pump is on a timer switch by the pool, but all I can do with it is turn it off or on.

It looks kind of like this one. I will get an equipment overview pic after work.

s-l500.png

Make sure you remove the light and scrub behind it.
Make sure you remove the ladder and scrub all of it with bleach water, even inside the tubes with a brush like this:

If you don't, you will just introduce algae into a nice new pool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool light is Sta-Rite and about 12" in OD

View attachment 486478View attachment 486479
Sta-Rite Sunlight pool light.
Sta-Rite Dynaglass pump (no longer made). With all the 90s above ground alone, it is possible that water is flowing back through the filter pump and un-threading the impeller. Next time it starts there goes the impeller (and possibly the diffuser). Those 1.65thp pumps did not have a reverse-thread impeller screw to prevent that. You should remove that tablet feeder. And, the suction line should be lowered to be in-line with the suction port on the pump.

Sta-Rite Sunlight pool light.
Sta-Rite Dynaglass pump (no longer made). With all the 90s above ground alone, it is possible that water is flowing back through the filter pump and un-threading the impeller. Next time it starts there goes the impeller (and possibly the diffuser). Those 1.65thp pumps did not have a reverse-thread impeller screw to prevent that. You should remove that tablet feeder. And, the suction line should be lowered to be in-line with the suction port on the pump.
Yes thats it and thanks for the advice. The impeller shaft is shearing so good possibility something is torqued out of place. Should I change the entire light unit. Here is the tag:
Model Sunglow
120v 500 watt max

Yes thats it and thanks for the advice. The impeller shaft is shearing so good possibility something is torqued out of place. Should I change the entire light unit. Here is the tag:
Model Sunglow
120v 500 watt max
From the picture it looks like water has gotten into that light. The niche should be compatible with a Pentair Amerilite (the most common light in use) or any light that would fit an Amerilite niche.

Ok great. Where do find the best deals for equipment? It seems the local pool store jacks up their prices a lot. Is there a good online store that this forum uses?

These are 3 online places I've found:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.