Replacing 1hp, 2 speed pump motor

chuppi

Bronze Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
Pleasanton, CA
Hello there
Recently my pump has been making loud noise. From reading other postings I thought is is something to do with the bearing or motor.
I asked someone to come take a look. The guy quoted me 950$ for motor replacement (that includes the initial diagnosis for which he charged me 125$. I owe him 850$ to do this work). Is it a fair price? I can check with others but others would charge me 120$ just to come take a look as well.

I live in California where everything is expensive. Factoring that, what do you think of this quote?
Thanks

I just purchased a 1.5 Hp 2 speed motor for $300. I do my own labor.

Thanks for your comment. I think there is high markup on the price of the pump and then there is high labor cost on top of it. I wish I could do this myself but I don't think I am up for it at least now.
I will probably pay for it now. I will watch him do the work and maybe do it myself the next time.

If you are handy at all, a motor replacement is a fairly simple task.

I checked US motors website and found the comparable motor. The motor cost 215$ online to buy. I want to know what else has to be replaced with it.
I read somewhere that it is better to replace shaft seal as well. What else do I have to replace and consider.
If I get a step by step instruction somewhere, I think I can do it.

Appreciate any guidance on this.
Thanks

You just need a seal kit. What is the pump make/model?

Youtube has a bunch of videos on motor replacement. They may even have one for your specific pump although most are very similar.

You just need a seal kit. What is the pump make/model?

Youtube has a bunch of videos on motor replacement. They may even have one for your specific pump although most are very similar.

The pump make and model is US Motors ASB2982 (the one I have is EB982 and ASB2982 is the suggested replacement). How do I buy the seal kit? Is it universal or specific to the pump model.
Edit: I found the motor, rebuild-kit that includes seal-kit for my pump model.

I will get myself educated and attempt it myself. I also talked to another pool service person who said he would take 300$ to install it.
Cheers

That is the motor number. To get the proper seal, you need the pump model. If you don't know, post a picture of it.

That is the motor number. To get the proper seal, you need the pump model. If you don't know, post a picture of it.

I chatted with the folks at poolcenter online store and located the replacement pump and the build-kit (based on the pump model).
I recently bought this house and I realized that I might have home warranty and I do. So it will be fixed under warranty.

If I have this problem next time, I will certainly do it myself. Lesson learnt that in pool business its not just the big national store that can rip you off. Even the local pool service store can also take advantage of you.

Thanks always for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.