Replacement for crappy Zodiac twist-lock hoses (MX8 Elite)

Mar 25, 2013
Poway, CA
I've had an MX8 Elite for 4 years, and am on the 3rd set of hoses. At over $150 each time, I managed to get Zodiac to send me a set for free. Less than one year later, it's splitting again.
I remove the hoses from the pool to avoid UV, and they STILL come apart.

I've seen the adapters on Amazon to convert from twist-lock, but, many comments exist that the replacement standard hoses do not float, and will restrict the MX8's movement.

So, anyone know of a GOOD, UV-resistant hose set that is buoyant, and will work with the MX8? I would need about a 50' length.

Thanks in advance!
D

I had a friend with this issue. Not totally sure if this was the cause, but he was lifting the hose out of the water while the hose was full, and the weight (imo) would crack it on the top side that tended to float in the sun. Maybe it was just because that was the top of the hose. Who knows. This was a cleaner that stays in the pool full time. Since lifting the hose empty only, the problem stopped occurring, although I agree these hoses don't seem to last as long as others.

Thanks for the reply. I don't lift the hose out of the water. I separate it each section and then pull them out.
A week ago I was laying on a raft in my pool. I had left the cleaner in overnight, and was gently pulling the hose out of my way, and it split.
That hose is less than a year old, and has been in the sun for a total time of about 1.5 weeks, as I only leave it in for a day or two at a time.

I'm unwilling to throw a fourth ~$175 hose in my pool when they're inferior quality.

Yeh I can certainly understand that! Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with the hoses. I run two pools with zodiac cleaners and they just stay in the pool all the time, and run whenever the pump runs. Maybe it's the taking in and out that's wearing them out? Good luck with finding an alternate hose if that's the better solution for you.

Wow, so you've had no problem with the hoses? I'm talking about the blue and white twist-lock ones.
So I've learned (as I got older) to take care of my Crud, so it lasts longer. When I take the hoses out I separate them in the water, lift them out, rinse them on the outside (quickly, I'm not that anal) let 'em dry and put them in a deck box. It's hot here in San Diego, so I'm now wondering if the heat inside the deck box is worse on the hoses than the UV...

I really couldn't say, my only experience is leaving them in the pool which is pretty routine here. I take my own out sometimes though it's a pentair suction cleaner. I take it out because one little grandie says he's scared of it and I get a smile if I take it out. I will also take it out if I need a really good fast skim before visitors coming. I leave it on the deck at the base of the pool fence and it takes a lot of sun there, but my preference is to lay it out as flat and straight (and out of the way) as is practical, and of course that might be 10% of the time at most. I don't disconnect hoses. Definitely to each our own though!

I'm not crazy about the zodiac hoses because I've seen the end fitting get cracked where it connects to the skimmer vacuum plate adapter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.